Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (14) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: maracle Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 35912  
Subject: BF3 Date: 2/12/2013 1:46 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
I finally got around to playing BF3 after picking it up on sale for I think $20 a few months ago and I'm really liking it so far. The campaign was excellent, and the gameplay is really smooth and nice looking.

I've played a few multiplayer matches so far and I'm pleasantly surprised at how well I'm doing. I really struggled with COD Black Ops, but in my first couple hours of BF3 I've got a K/D ratio of around 0.6 which is high enough to still be fun and encouraging since I haven't unlocked much and still tend to shoot people in the knees instead of the head. Hopefully that keeps up. Hopefully I can do some more organized squad play at some point...

I also managed to resist the urge to upgrade my computer. It's two years old, so a little too soon to be wanting to make changes I think. I did order some new fans in an effort to make a bit quieter...hopefully a cheap little quality of life fix will hold me over. BF3 actually works very well even on average 2 year old hardware. My framerate on the original borderlands was a problem so that surprised me a bit.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: 1971simon Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 35100 of 35912
Subject: Re: BF3 Date: 2/12/2013 12:23 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
If you want to join us on TS shoot me an email.

"Us" is a little misleading now though as I haven't played BF3 in a month or so, Jon is busy saving the galaxy in FTL, Jason has been offline for a while, though Rod still might be playing. I plan on coming back soon as I've just finished King's Bounty (another long slog and repetitive in the end but still decent) and only have Die Hard (I mean, Max Payne 3) left to play from my Christmas buying bonanza. Though I might have another go of XCom with the new DLC I bought.

BF3 is fun but much better with friends online.

Simon

PS: A nice bonus in King's Bounty is that at the end of the game they provide a desktop wallpaper with your stats and a decent pic. More games should do that. It's fun.

Author: kruzika27 One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 35101 of 35912
Subject: Re: BF3 Date: 2/12/2013 1:40 PM
I picked it up while it was on sale as well. Have been playing a lot of multiplayer lately as Recon trying to get the longest distance headshots I can. Looking to get one 1000m+, but only up to 405m right now.

If you like the multiplayer aspect of BF3, try out Planetside 2. I typically describe it as a MMO-FPS. It's not limited to 64 person max like BF3. It maintains the infantry and air/ground vehicle aspect of BF3, just on a much larger scale in a sci-fi world.

Author: RodimusPrime Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 35102 of 35912
Subject: Re: BF3 Date: 2/12/2013 4:48 PM
You may already know these, so then for any lurkers...

Here's a double-bonus on leveling faster... Always make sure that you are part of a squad. Not only will you (#1) get extra bonus points for healing and resupplying and resurrecting your squadmates, but you'll also (#2) benefit from whichever squad unlocks that any of them have equipped... for example, when someone has squad sprint equipped, it causes the whole squad to run faster, all the time. Priceless.

Pick up better guns on the battlefield by looting corpses.

These days I am only playing 1x/week but I will always make time to play with Fools! So long as kids are in bed, yadda, yadda, yadda...

Simon's 0x/week effort is weak. I mean, it's not like he has a real job. ;-)

My computer is 2 years old as well and it still works for BF3. Yay!

--Rod

Author: TheJTrain Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 35109 of 35912
Subject: Re: BF3 Date: 2/13/2013 5:12 PM
Yeah, I certainly had a blast playing several hundred hours of BF2142 (and a much smaller amount of BF:BC2 and a little bit of CoD:MW between) with the crew from here but my personal taste for multiplayer FPS has waned as the genre has evolved and I haven't bought or played a new one since BC2. Just have way too many games that I've bought over the years and have had very little time to play them, but am finally making some headway the last year or two (sprinkling in some new ones like Mass Effect 3 and the Assassin's Creed series, of course).

On the FPS front though, I made some fantastic memories with these guys so if you ever possibly have the chance to hook up with them on a regular basis, you'd be cheating yourself if you pass up on it. Gotta keep an eye on Simon though, he'll take off running across a field knowing that he'll draw someone's attention but they'll be too slow to hit him, leaving that guy ready for you when you pop out of cover to follow where Simon's going! ;-)

JT,
out of curiosity I loaded up the stats page that I still have bookmarked and it says the last round of BC2 I played was on 28 April 2011, and that brought me to 68 hours played (vs. I think 500+ on BF2142)

Author: RodimusPrime Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 35115 of 35912
Subject: Re: BF3 Date: 2/14/2013 3:33 PM
Yep. Good times!

I am glad that you two think that you are accomplishing something by working through your (virtual) stacks of purchased games. But ya know, it's kinda contrived...

Meanwhile, I'll just keep hanging out in the awesomest multiplayer FPS for anyone who needs a lightweight multiplayer fix. I have a standing offer to anyone who wants to ride with me in my tank... I'll promise that you'll never die. Ever. :-)

Honestly, though, it seems like you guys are having fun. And that's what matters.

--Rod

Author: TheJTrain Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 35118 of 35912
Subject: Re: BF3 Date: 2/14/2013 8:25 PM
I am glad that you two think that you are accomplishing something by working through your (virtual) stacks of purchased games. But ya know, it's kinda contrived...

Most of my stack isn't virtual - I'm the curmudgeon who lurves his shiny plastic discs!

Honestly, though, it seems like you guys are having fun. And that's what matters.

Totally - when you're into the stories as much as I am in the games on my list, I don't think it's any more contrived than buying a series of 14 fantasy novels and having them on your "to-read" list and checking them off one at a time. There are stories in there that I want to see/hear/experience, and I can only do that by playing through them!

JT

Author: maracle Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 35120 of 35912
Subject: Re: BF3 Date: 2/14/2013 9:27 PM
Here's a double-bonus on leveling faster... Always make sure that you are part of a squad. Not only will you (#1) get extra bonus points for healing and resupplying and resurrecting your squadmates, but you'll also (#2) benefit from whichever squad unlocks that any of them have equipped... for example, when someone has squad sprint equipped, it causes the whole squad to run faster, all the time. Priceless.

That must be what those little icons are in the squad screen? To help you find a nice balanced squad to join?

Yeah, I'd definitely be up for playing. I'll PM you guys my details. My BF3 handle is maracle6 and on Steam I'm maracle.

Author: RodimusPrime Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 35121 of 35912
Subject: Re: BF3 Date: 2/15/2013 6:58 PM
It was good playing with you last night, maracle. Although... being attackers with no air support on Noshar Canals rush mode was not my idea of FUN. But later rounds got better. Thanks for staying up.

It's double-XP day today too! Premium members only, sorry. I'm not sure if I'll have time tonight. But I really should try to get some flying unlocks one of these days.

--Rod

Author: maracle Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 35123 of 35912
Subject: Re: BF3 Date: 2/16/2013 1:27 PM
It was fun, I agree that canals was near impossible in that situation. But it was nice to try out the tanks!

Author: maracle Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 35146 of 35912
Subject: Re: BF3 Date: 2/26/2013 12:55 AM
I've definitely become quite a bit better over the last week or so. I've been trying to branch out into some other games and I'm actually a bit surprised at how few people seem to be playing. Maybe I'm missing something.

For example, if I use the server browser to look for a Grand Bazaar map, normal mode, in North America there is only one game. That surprises me...isn't Grand Bazaar a reasonably popular map?

Seems like there are only a few maps with lots of games. I guess maybe I should just go with it and play those maps. I had been playing Noshahr Canals a lot, and was getting pretty used to it. My only complaint about that map is that there tends to be spawn camping.

Author: 1971simon Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 35147 of 35912
Subject: Re: BF3 Date: 2/26/2013 10:43 AM
Grand Bazaar is a great map. It's also over a year old. Piles of new maps have come out since. However it might be when you are looking plus you might have other search settings that are restricting you from finding a good map/server. Most servers rotate maps so it becomes a timing thing.

I need to get back into BF3 and find you. The new map pack comes out next month.

Simon

Author: RodimusPrime Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 35149 of 35912
Subject: Re: BF3 Date: 2/26/2013 3:39 PM
Hmmm... maybe since you have only the basic BF3 (no DLC), you are only allowed to see/join servers that have zero DLC maps in their map rotation?

Like Simon said, it might be the timing of your search query. Your search results will only include servers that are currently playing on that map. So if you really want to play Grand Bazaar, then filter on a server name that includes "Bazaar"... and you'll see all of the servers that play Grand Bazaar a lot, even if they are not playing Grand Bazaar right now. I generally only search on specific maps via the server name searchbox.

In general, if you are consistently not getting many search results, then make sure the server name is blank and also uncheck all search param checkboxes except the one for your region (and maybe keep the Punkbuster one checked too).

So, which other original maps do you like playing?

Caspian Border
Damavand Peak
Grand Bazaar
Kharg Island
Norshar Canals
Operation Firestorm
Operation Metro
Seine Crossing
Tehran Highway

I see that you play Assault class... so have you learned the Metro map yet? There should still be lots of 24/7 Metro servers. Nice job on reaching Level 18.

Hey... I can make time to play tonight! You? No matter. Tonight after 8PM PST I'll hang out a bit and look for you...

--Rod

Author: maracle Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 35150 of 35912
Subject: Re: BF3 Date: 2/27/2013 1:48 AM
Well Rod and I played some co-op tonight...I thought it would take about 20 minutes to finish the last two missions. That last one was a bit tougher than expected...I fat fingered the bomb defuse code twice, then did not realize I'd have to press the right melee button on the final boss. And we just both got killed once as well. So the sniper mission plus the final mission x5 probably took us nearly 2 hours.

At least Rod has time for a bit of multi-player slaughter to finish off the night!

Simon, there are definitely not many Grand Bazaar maps. Even including premium servers there are sometimes one more going. Metro is indeed popular, I've shied away because of some early slaughters there but I should give it another go.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (14) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement