Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (18) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: AdrianC Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 195823  
Subject: Biblical literalism the norm? Date: 12/30/2012 4:06 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
How prevalent is Biblical literalism in the USA?
Is Biblical literalism the norm among American Christians?

Definition:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biblical_literalism

“Biblical literalism (also called Biblicism or Biblical fundamentalism) is the interpretation or translation of the explicit and primary sense of words in the Bible.”

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biblical_literalism#Clarity_of_...

“Biblical literalists believe that, unless a passage is clearly intended as allegory, poetry, or some other genre, the Bible should be interpreted as literal statements by the author. Who may appropriately decide when a passage is allegorical or literal, however, is not defined. Fundamentalists typically treat as simple history, according to its plain sense, such passages as the Genesis account of creation, the deluge and Noah's ark, and the unnaturally long life-spans of the patriarchs given in genealogies of Genesis, as well as the strict historicity of the narrative accounts of Ancient Israel, the supernatural interventions of God in history, and Jesus' miracles.”

http://www.gallup.com/poll/148427/say-bible-literally.aspx
“A majority, 54%, of those who attend religious services on a weekly basis believe in a literal interpretation of the Bible, more than twice the percentage of those who attend church less often.”
“Belief in a literal interpretation of the Bible is especially pronounced among churchgoing Protestants, as two-thirds of Protestants who attend church weekly hold this view.”
“Belief in a literal interpretation of a Bible declines as educational attainment increases.”

http://www.gallup.com/poll/155003/hold-creationist-view-huma...
“Two-thirds of Americans who attend religious services weekly choose the creationist alternative, compared with 25% of those who say they seldom or never attend church.”

According to the Gallup survey, Biblical literalism is the norm among churchgoing Protestants.
Does this surprise anyone?
Is it a problem?
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: Beridian Big red star, 1000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 184775 of 195823
Subject: Re: Biblical literalism the norm? Date: 12/30/2012 4:32 PM
Recommendations: 3
How prevalent is Biblical literalism in the USA?
Is Biblical literalism the norm among American Christians?

My observation is that when the bible passage reinforces the desired dogma, well, then it is literal. When the scripture seems to contradict the desired dogma or disparages the doctrine or the congregation, well that then it is considered figurative.

It's having your cake and eating it too.

Author: Mark12547 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 184776 of 195823
Subject: Re: Biblical literalism the norm? Date: 12/30/2012 4:54 PM
Recommendations: 1
As time has passed I have found myself becoming more and more of a literalist.

Author: JAFO31 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 184778 of 195823
Subject: Re: Biblical literalism the norm? Date: 12/31/2012 11:40 AM
Recommendations: 2
Mark12547: "As time has passed I have found myself becoming more and more of a literalist."

Why?

Curiously, JAFO

Author: AdrianC Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 184787 of 195823
Subject: Re: Biblical literalism the norm? Date: 1/1/2013 6:38 PM
Recommendations: 3
I was kinda surprised that 2/3 of protestants affirm Biblical literalism. Liberal Christians friends assure me that while leadership might promote Biblical inerrancy, the average pew sitter tends to be less literal. The Gallop surveys show that this is apparently not the case. Two thirds are Biblical literalists and creationists.

I do think this is a problem for the USA. How can a modern people adhere to rules written thousands of years ago in a culture very different from ours? These rules are obviously intended for a specific people at a specific time, not for all peoples at all times.

Author: lhaselden Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 184814 of 195823
Subject: Re: Biblical literalism the norm? Date: 1/2/2013 12:42 PM
<<
I do think this is a problem for the USA. How can a modern people adhere to rules written thousands of years ago in a culture very different from ours? These rules are obviously intended for a specific people at a specific time, not for all peoples at all times.
>>

Silly human the people during the time the rules were written did not obey them either..... of the thousands of fighting age males who fled Egypt only 2 entered the promised land...... and the leader Moses was not one of them.

The error that the current christian religion teaches is that everybody who plants their buns into a pew and contributes funds on a regular basis is going to heaven....

The road to destruction is broad and many are on it,,, the way is narrow and the gate is small and only a few find it... and few of them lead religious organizations!

The rules are not the problem,,, the human heart is the issue.

Every one wants to go to the promises land but do not want to fight the giants to live there.... everyone wants to go to heaven but do not want to live in God and have HIM live in them now....

Author: AdrianC Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 184816 of 195823
Subject: Re: Biblical literalism the norm? Date: 1/2/2013 12:59 PM
Every one wants to go to the promises land but do not want to fight the giants to live there.... everyone wants to go to heaven but do not want to live in God and have HIM live in them now....

I have no idea what this means or how to do it.

Speak plainly, then perhaps we can understand.

Author: lhaselden Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 184817 of 195823
Subject: Re: Biblical literalism the norm? Date: 1/2/2013 3:41 PM
Every one wants to go to the promises land but do not want to fight the giants to live there
o

Moses led the children of Israel to the promised land... they were afraid to enter and 2 of the adult men of those led out of Egypt entered the promised land... the rest died in the desert and wilderness....

everyone wants to go to heaven but do not want to live in God and have HIM live in them now....

Do you know anyone who thinks there is a heaven that does not want to go there when they die?

In my belief heaven is where God dwells, There is not sun and moon but HE himself is the light in that city there is no darkness. How many people live in HIM and HE in them... in other words how many people do you know that you would describe as being like Jesus. Can you see Jesus in anyone your know. I have been a Christian for over 30 years and I can think of about 10 or 20... There have been times that I have drawn near to God, and many times that things of the world, troubles, or animosity toward others has drawn me farther away.
Are you willing to give up every thing you are to be like Him???

The God who destroyed Sodom and Gomorrah, let HIS chosen people die in the wilderness and wold no allow Moses to enter the Promised Land, and allowed His beloved Son to die on the cross for my sins is the God that I have chosen to serve. He is an awesome God, loving and full of grace toward those who love Him, but HE does not welcome liars and cowards and will turn His back to those who choose to server mamon or the things of the world.

Author: AdrianC Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 184838 of 195823
Subject: Re: Biblical literalism the norm? Date: 1/4/2013 12:30 PM
Thanks.

He is an awesome God, loving and full of grace toward those who love Him, but HE does not welcome liars and cowards and will turn His back to those who choose to server mamon or the things of the world.

Do you think He welcomes people who have honest doubts about His very existence?

The "world" is all we can be sure about, is it not? We can't be sure there is anything "beyond" this universe.

Author: lhaselden Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 184839 of 195823
Subject: Re: Biblical literalism the norm? Date: 1/4/2013 12:49 PM
<<
Do you think He welcomes people who have honest doubts about His very existence?

The "world" is all we can be sure about, is it not? We can't be sure there is anything "beyond" this universe.
>>

HE has only asked for us to use the faith we have, like any other 'talent' he has given us. Those who are afraid to approach HIM or afraid to use the talent they have are in trouble. It is not the amount of faith that you do not have, it is how you live with the faith you do have.

Hebrews 11:1
Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.

<<
>>

I am more sure about God than anything else past this very moment. I have no certainty about tomorrow in this world. I am not sure what the next hour holds but i am not anxious as some my coworkers and family are. I trust God with now and eternity whatever that is.

Author: AdrianC Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 184841 of 195823
Subject: Re: Biblical literalism the norm? Date: 1/4/2013 1:08 PM
HE has only asked for us to use the faith we have, like any other 'talent' he has given us. Those who are afraid to approach HIM or afraid to use the talent they have are in trouble. It is not the amount of faith that you do not have, it is how you live with the faith you do have.

Hebrews 11:1
Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.

Trouble is I'm not sure of what I hope for (that there will ultimately be justice) and I'm very uncertain of what I don't see. It would seem that I have no faith.

Author: lhaselden Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 184842 of 195823
Subject: Re: Biblical literalism the norm? Date: 1/4/2013 2:49 PM
<<
Trouble is I'm not sure of what I hope for (that there will ultimately be justice) and I'm very uncertain of what I don't see. It would seem that I have no faith.
>>

I think you trust in your own abilities.

I once tried very hard to understand many things, I then tried to understand a few simple things, when i discovered that the grass growing beneath my feet was so amazing that I may never understand that square foot of the universe, I found that I could see it much more clearly. I have since that time enjoyed a few quiet moments simply watching the grass grow, or a bird move around the yard.

I put little trust in my own understanding anymore, I trust HIM that does have understanding. When HE judges, He judges justly, he does see and understand the intricacies of our souls.

I simply try to live up to what I do understand. Many of us twist our understanding in order to justify doing what we want to do.

Author: AdrianC Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 184850 of 195823
Subject: Re: Biblical literalism the norm? Date: 1/5/2013 12:29 AM
"I think you trust in your own abilities. "

It's not so much my own abilities than trusting that if humans don't do it it's not going to get done. We want justice on earth? Then we had better get to it. We cannot expect tangible help from above. We have to grow up and take responsibility. It's on us.

Author: lhaselden Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 184855 of 195823
Subject: Re: Biblical literalism the norm? Date: 1/5/2013 9:39 AM
<<
It's not so much my own abilities than trusting that if humans don't do it it's not going to get done. We want justice on earth? Then we had better get to it. We cannot expect tangible help from above. We have to grow up and take responsibility. It's on us.
>>

I agree that it is on us, but I disagree, we do get tangible help from above. We are supposed to get it done, HE put us in charge.

Genesis 1:
28 God blessed them and said to them, “Be fruitful and increase in number; fill the earth and subdue it. Rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky and over every living creature that moves on the ground.”

Author: 1poorguy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 184863 of 195823
Subject: Re: Biblical literalism the norm? Date: 1/5/2013 5:15 PM

I don't.

While I wouldn't mind living longer than is typical for a human, I would NOT want "life everlasting". I can't imagine a worse torture than the boredom that would result from eternal life.

Author: lhaselden Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 184864 of 195823
Subject: Re: Biblical literalism the norm? Date: 1/5/2013 5:39 PM
<<
While I wouldn't mind living longer than is typical for a human, I would NOT want "life everlasting". I can't imagine a worse torture than the boredom that would result from eternal life.
>>
I do not remember ever being bored in the company of people that I love and that love me... but then I am seldom bored.

Author: 1poorguy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 184866 of 195823
Subject: Re: Biblical literalism the norm? Date: 1/5/2013 8:16 PM
I do not remember ever being bored in the company of people that I love and that love me... but then I am seldom bored.

You've also never experienced time on geologic scales. In fact, "eternity" makes geologic scales become puny.

If even once in your life you have been bored and couldn't think of anything to do, multiply that by infinity.

Author: lhaselden Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 184867 of 195823
Subject: Re: Biblical literalism the norm? Date: 1/5/2013 9:00 PM
<<
If even once in your life you have been bored and couldn't think of anything to do, multiply that by infinity.
>>

Maybe you do not love? I cannot think of a better place to be for eternity than with those I love and that love me.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (18) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement