Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: ShelJ Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 5641  
Subject: big fat greek wedding Date: 7/27/2002 1:01 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Nice to see the leading man be a vegetarian!

Also funny when the Greek aunt comes up with an idea of what she can feed him.

Shel
Print the post Back To Top
Author: DorothyM Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3460 of 5641
Subject: Re: big fat greek wedding Date: 7/27/2002 10:18 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
I have an uncle in Pennsylvania whom I visit once a year and we then visit his and my mother's cousins who live nearby (I can never remember how to describe what relationship exactly these cousins are to me!).

The family is Eastern European and meat is absolutely the center of the meals -- But they always fix for me a cabbage dish with dumplings (made from scratch, of course) and it's quite delicious, even though more dumplings than cabbage. However, all during the meal, the "lady of the house" describes all the wonderful things they could have prepared "except you don't eat meat."

I'm really quite touched that they prepare something special for me, but the comments are always made with just a hint of sadness and puzzlement and a tiny bit of pleading -- as if I might finally see the error of my ways.

Author: SanDiegoPaul Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3464 of 5641
Subject: Re: big fat greek wedding Date: 7/28/2002 12:31 PM
However, all during the meal, the "lady of the house" describes all the wonderful things they could have prepared "except you don't eat meat."
---------

<<< HEY !! >>>

You' been EATIN' at MY MOM's house an' NOT invitin' ME?

Author: KCFroglady Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3469 of 5641
Subject: Re: big fat greek wedding Date: 7/29/2002 11:56 AM
DorothyM wrote:

"I have an uncle in Pennsylvania whom I visit once a year and we then visit his and my mother's cousins who live nearby (I can never
remember how to describe what relationship exactly these cousins are to me!)."

Dorothy,

Just as an FYI for the future, your mother's cousins (provided that they are HER "first cousins") are your first cousins, once-removed.

I learned how this works a long time ago when trying to figure out how MY family structure worked (since it's so big and my mother's cousins were MY age and it confused me too).

If they are her second cousins, they are your second cousins, once-removed, and so forth.

:-)

KC

Author: LeftBlank Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3471 of 5641
Subject: Re: big fat greek wedding Date: 7/30/2002 10:41 PM
what i hate is when the vegetarians in movies play to a stereotype. if this movie doesn't do that i guess i should go see it. though i do eat fish.

Author: ShelJ Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3476 of 5641
Subject: Re: big fat greek wedding Date: 8/1/2002 9:11 AM
what i hate is when the vegetarians in movies play to a stereotype

Well, he's got shoulder-length hair but that's about it.

Author: dcarper Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3508 of 5641
Subject: Re: big fat greek wedding Date: 8/13/2002 3:32 PM
if this movie doesn't do that i guess i should go see it.

You should definitly see it. I've seen movies before where I laughed so hard that I cried, but this is the first time my sleeves were wet from it.

There are stereotypes involved, but that is sort of what the movie is about. But the vegetarian isn't a stereotype so much as the people who don't understand him. It really is a great movie.

David

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement