No. of Recommendations: 0
During the tech run up of the late 90s it seemed so easy to pick a stock a flip it less than a year later for a healthy gain. My IRA account grew from $45k to close to $100k over that period.

Then things changed... today my IRA account sits at a measely $10k. I am embarrassed to say that my gains (non-tech long term investing) has been in my taxable accounts and my losses have been in my IRA.

So, clearly I am an idiot... but is there anyway that I can offset my taxable gains with my IRA losses? Are there any tricks of the trade that I don't know about (no pun intended)?

Thanks in advance for any info!
Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.