UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (25) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: TMFPMarti Big funky green star, 20000 posts Home Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 58834  
Subject: Re: USSC Expands 1st Amendment Rights Date: 1/21/2010 3:51 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 5
Big Momma writes:

Those myopic but wealth minded Republican appointees have just opened up a can of worms they are too partisan to understand in an unbiassed fashion. Yes it will benefit Republicans. That's why they went ahead.

It will open us up to foreign influence in a way never seen before.

Don't forget the unions, which will also find new spending power.

I'm pretty much resigned to a bought, or at least rented, government until we go to public financing, and since that would require altering the First Amendment, of which I'm quite fond, I'm not sure it's worth it. McCain-Feingold can certainly be seen as a blow against special interests. It can also be seen as The Incumbents' Protection Act.

You know I love you dearly and plan to take you up on that offer of a proper cuppa one day, but since you're a furriner you lack our native instinct for unfettered speech. I pretty much think the more noxious the speech, the more it should be heard. No doubt this is due in some part to coming from Topeka, home of Fred Phelps and the Westoboro Baptist Church, whose hateful speech has done more positive things for gay people in the political arena than years of lobbying and rational approaches to people.

With the franchise comes responsibility. Know who's paying your politicians' bills and watch how they vote. You retain the ultimate power if you're willing to do your duty.

The partisan angle is interesting. As in so many things in life, be careful what you wish for. You may get it, as the Democrats found out Tuesday. Until 2004 Massachusetts filled US Senate vacancies through appointment by the governor until the next regular Congressional cycle. Scared to death that Mitt Romney would appoint a Republican to fill John Kerry's seat after he was elected President, the Democratic-controlled legislature changed the rules to require a special election. As we say in Kansas, those chickens have come home to roost.

Phil
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (25) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Medallion Financial: TAXI!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement