UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: JAFO31 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 76243  
Subject: Re: 401K into Roth IRA Date: 2/5/2004 11:16 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
BigArb: "I used to have a 401k with my old employer, when I left I converted it into a Roth IRA. I was wondering if my rollover counts as a contribution."

Technically, you first rolled the 401k to a traditional IRA (non-taxable event if handled correctly) and you then converted the traditional IRA to a Roth IRA (which is a taxable event). We hope that you paid the taxes due on conversion with funds outside the account. Rollovers are not contributions.

"I also was wondering if someone open a Roth is there initial deposit limited to 3000 dollar contribution for that tax year."

Generally yes, assuming that (1) you are not over 50 and (2) your (M)AGI is not in the phase-out range for contributing to a Roth IRA or over the limit for contributing to a Roth IRA.

Regards, JAFO

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next


The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Considerable Headwinds for Profire Energy?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.