Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
BIL lost his home last October in the Sonoma Couny Firestorm, here in northern Calif. Included were all his photos, cameras, books, drawings, everything but his wallet, DW's purse, and their cars, one, luckily was in the shop.

So all of us in the family searched out photos, trying to sort out what was lost, but it didn't include all the kitchenware, artwork that wasn't on the walls, or the hundreds of other things, including the contents of their safe, drawers, etc..

I used to keep a Filemaker database, inventory, but that gets tedious, lost in time... Stuff changes, gets donated, trashed, all we can do is sometimes take a run of photos, memory joggers...

Recently I joined some Bell System, and other Telecom Groups in Facebook, folks were posting pics of old telecom gear, tools. So I started looking around, taking photos, posting them. It is surprising what I've found, old tool cases long ignored, so many old tools, specialty things tucked away in case they'd be needed, only to have the bottom drop out, as the company went bankrupt, bout by one, now another, all these bits left behind. An eye opener, even for me as I find things I haven seen for 20 years in some cases... Hard to imagine their value, or what to do with them down the line... And as a long time haunter of flea markets, many other tools as well, I know what their value was, but...

Inventory, kept in a cloud file, backups as well...
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 3
Wow, I totally missed that one - and I would think I would remember!

Thanks for sharing. Appropos of nothing, every few years I take a video camera, go into every room in the house, open closet doors and drawers, and slowly pan 360 degrees. I can always freeze frame later if I need to make a list. (We had friends lose their entire house, and trying to remember all the pictures, Knick-knacks, furniture, etc. was a nightmare.) Then the cassette (dating myself here) goes into the safe deposit box off site, or now it’s “in the cloud” somewhere from my phone. Speaking of which, been a few years since I did it, so tomorrow...
BIL lost his home last October in the Sonoma Couny Firestorm, here in northern Calif. Included were all his photos, cameras, books, drawings, everything but his wallet, DW's purse, and their cars, one, luckily was in the shop.

So all of us in the family searched out photos, trying to sort out what was lost, but it didn't include all the kitchenware, artwork that wasn't on the walls, or the hundreds of other things, including the contents of their safe, drawers, etc..

I used to keep a Filemaker database, inventory, but that gets tedious, lost in time... Stuff changes, gets donated, trashed, all we can do is sometimes take a run of photos, memory joggers...

Recently I joined some Bell System, and other Telecom Groups in Facebook, folks were posting pics of old telecom gear, tools. So I started looking around, taking photos, posting them. It is surprising what I've found, old tool cases long ignored, so many old tools, specialty things tucked away in case they'd be needed, only to have the bottom drop out, as the company went bankrupt, bout by one, now another, all these bits left behind. An eye opener, even for me as I find things I haven seen for 20 years in some cases... Hard to imagine their value, or what to do with them down the line... And as a long time haunter of flea markets, many other tools as well, I know what their value was, but...

Inventory, kept in a cloud file, backups as well...
When went to bed our keys and wallet were stored in the kitchen in a cabinet next to the refrigerator. In the future keys & wallet will be stored in the bedroom near the fire exit window.

What's best is probably setting up bolt bags in the bedroom at home & in the RV.
Advertisement