Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (18) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: BruceBrown Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 8993  
Subject: Re: moving to the next level Date: 9/1/2001 6:17 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Bill III (aka Otter) was asking how much time we would have in Vienna, etc., and said to be sure not to "crowd" myself by taking an afternoon off and playing golf. My response, which he now understands, is that some folks love to visit museums, some folks love the opera, some folks love to visit castles. I, however, think playing on a unique golf course in a different country is a rare opportunity to see part of the local culture. I have, for example, played on the only 18 hole golf course in Israel (it is on the coast), and wouldn't trade that experience for anything...not even visiting another Roman ruin (of which there are dozens in Israel). Not that I don't appreciate architecture, art, opera, or museums....but golf is something I love.

The good news is that there is a little 'culture' involved with the Schoenborn Golf Club because it is a castle. You can view it all right here (use the pull down menu to view it all):

http://www.gcschoenborn.com/

Each of the 27 holes are here (we'll play 1 - 18):

http://www.gcschoenborn.com/html/loecher.html

The picture they show on the home page is a par 3 that plays back to the front of the castle. The first time I played there I didn't putt too well because I was drooling over all the pheasants and deer on the course - as well as the beauty of the course. Last time I played there I didn't see any of either game as it was a hot day and they were most likely hiding in the woods.

Your son is correct in trying to plan a "see Vienna in one day or two days" time. You are also correct in seeing and doing the things that you love on your travels. You are already booked to see the number one item that people coming to Vienna for a one or two day adventure must see - the Schoenbrunn Palace. It pretty much sums up old Vienna. That palace, the opera house, some museums, the Spanish Riding School, the big cathedral in the center, Heldenplatz and a walking tour of the pedestrian district center of town is about what the average tourist sees in one or two days time before moving on to the next city. You will see most of the architecture and 'sights' near your hotel if you are staying in the center. Of course, my wife and I always take guests to places that the average tourist would never find out about. Places the Austrians themselves go to eat and see 'culture'. If you were here a week later, I would drag you to the opera where I will be performing in Carmen. I could sing a few bars in the car on the way to the course to complete your 'cultural' tour.... ;-)

BB
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (18) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Economic Implications of Cuba
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement