Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (21) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: comptche Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 19483  
Subject: Re: Will/Probate... Date: 7/10/2005 3:11 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
Bill,

Thanks for the good wishes. Despite our reluctance to go to our father's house while members of his wife's family were there, our niece did go there and was given the opportunity to go through our father's personal things. While those things of monetary value were withheld, those that would mean something to my brother and I were given to us.

My father was a policeman during World War II and we have pictures of him clowning with his friends, displaying his new Sargent's stripes, displaying hs new Lieutenant's badge and of he an I on his TV program called "Information Police". We have his marksman medals. My brother has his Retired badge and I have his hat that I remember him wearing.

We have memories of him building two apartments above four garages with the help of his policeman and fireman friends. We recall that he was instrumental in setting up the Police Acadamy in San Diego and that he taught Police Sciences at two Junior Colleges there. We have the hole in one trophy from the La Jolla Country Club Golf Course that he earned while he ran that substation that now does not exist. We remember the summer camping trips into the redwoods and now live in the redwoods ourselves... We have the wonderful memory of years of confidences and emails and the last three weeks of his life when we were all together with him in a very intimate time. These are our real legacy...who we are and who he was...

Thanks for bringing this to mind again...

Anne
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (21) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Looking at Currency Ratios
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement