Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (11) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: caelad Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 96  
Subject: Bioscience research Date: 8/17/2000 7:27 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Every where I look some bioscience/pharmacuetical company is in the investment news and I want to research why. However, I can't seem to figure out where to start. Is there some way of looking up companies by type some where?

-Caela
Print the post Back To Top
Author: Cathysfriend One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 71 of 96
Subject: Re: Bioscience research Date: 8/17/2000 9:47 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Biotechnology is in news because they are new and doing some ground breaking stuff-however it's not good stuff. They are using dna splitting to join chemicals (insecticides and pesticides) and organic materials, so that they can can produce crops that are pest resistant, weather endurant, and then they also make it so that the seeds they create only yeild a one crop. After that they're useless, which means the farmers have to buy these expensive seeds every year-very costly, which put the small farmer out of business.
Big business thinks biotechnology is neat stuff because they say it will be easier to produce large amounts of food that last a longer time for less money. They say it'll solve world hunger-but world hunger is not a problem of lack of food, rather it is unequal distribution. Pharmicuetical companies are in the news because the public has become convinced that there is a pill for everything. Every kid over the age of 2 and under the age of 18 has been diagnosed with ADD. Plus everyone has all now because of the pollution. I personally and cathy refuse to invest either of these types of companies.
If you want to research this stuff use the internet search engines using key phrases.

Author: dovegato Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 73 of 96
Subject: Re: Bioscience research Date: 8/17/2000 10:29 PM
Every where I look some bioscience/pharmacuetical company is in the investment news and I want to research why. However, I can't seem to figure out where to start. Is there some way of looking up companies by type some where?

Here is an interesting place to start:

http://www.smartmoney.com/marketmap/marketmap.html

find the different main sectors and then move your mouse over each part of it and a different company "pops"

DG

Author: dovegato Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 74 of 96
Subject: Re: Bioscience research Date: 8/17/2000 10:40 PM
Here is a place that has several good primer articles about the industry sectors

http://stocks.about.com/money/stocks/msub_specialty_indexes.htm

DG

Author: caelad Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 75 of 96
Subject: Re: Bioscience research Date: 8/22/2000 1:26 PM
Author: Cathysfriend Date: 8/17/00 9:47 PM
I personally and cathy refuse to invest either of these types of companies.
If you want to research this stuff use the internet search engines using key phrases.
--------

Before you rule out everything in this field please hear me out.

First I understand that people in agriculture are doing genetic manipulation. I am not agaist this but nor do I want to invest in it. Second I understand that many companies out there are doing pharmacuetical research on the "miracle cure" again this isn't what I am interested in. However, there are companies doing research on instruments that will improve surgery, or research on developing therapies for those with physical handicaps, or even companies researching replacement body parts. I'll do some research and see if I can catch your interest...but you'll need an open mind.

-Caela

Author: caelad Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 76 of 96
Subject: Re: Bioscience research Date: 8/22/2000 2:03 PM
Author: dovegato Date: 8/17/00 10:29 PM

http://www.smartmoney.com/marketmap/marketmap.html

-----

This was a great site. Already I have found some interesting stuff. Thanks!

-Caela

Author: Cathysfriend One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 77 of 96
Subject: Re: Bioscience research Date: 8/23/2000 10:02 PM
hmmmmm.....no. Our one and only condition for joining this investment club was that we would be investing companies that were not socially responsible. Biotechnology investments is totally out of the question.

Author: dovegato Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 79 of 96
Subject: Re: Bioscience research Date: 8/24/2000 12:50 AM
http://hepatitis-central.com/hcv/warfare/riley.html

However, there are companies doing research on instruments that will improve surgery, or research on developing therapies for those with physical handicaps, or even companies researching replacement body parts.

Your points are well-made Caela. I feel very similarly.

However I was a little unnerved today as I was doing some research on rapid coliform bacterial diagnostics and came across an article describing a release into the air of "benign" bacteria- because the LIvermore Labs people wanted to research elements of bacteriological warfare. (Wish I could find the article again- I was so nonplussed I forgot to bookmark it.) Trying to find it again this evening- I came across the following

http://hepatitis-central.com/hcv/warfare/riley.html

There is both good and bad in the world- the challenge is knowing precisely where to draw the line.

DG

Author: dovegato Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 80 of 96
Subject: Re: Bioscience research Date: 8/24/2000 1:00 AM
>>Biotechnology investments is totally out of the question.<<

Droll... I've almost completed a businessplan which incorporates development of lowcost, rapid diagnostics of biotoxins impacting water quality. This would qualify as biotechnology.

:)- Hope some of you don't decide to disown me....because of my affiliations...

DG- singing "I've got friends in low places..."

(I'm sure in the marketing of stocks we will find some we can all agree on)

Author: caelad Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 81 of 96
Subject: Re: Bioscience research Date: 8/24/2000 12:53 PM
>>Biotechnology investments is totally out of the question.<<

>Droll... I've almost completed a businessplan which incorporates development of lowcost, rapid diagnostics of biotoxins impacting water quality. This would qualify as biotechnology. >

I only ask that we continue to be able to bring information about biotechnology to the boards...not that we invest, for now.

-caela

P.S. I read that article and have actually had conversations with people who believe they have suffered from "the gulf war sickness." As a student of psychology I have my doubts about it, but as a human being I feel for these people. From their personal accounts you can truly believe they suffered sickness and betrayal.

Author: Cathysfriend One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 84 of 96
Subject: Re: Bioscience research Date: 8/29/2000 10:31 PM
you all can say what you like, but we made our position clear from the get go. We invest in companies that are socially responsible, if you can find something that falls into that category, they by all means bring it up. You don't get to change the rules mid-game.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (11) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement