UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: DocHathaway Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 15004  
Subject: BiPolar and work questions Date: 8/18/2011 2:41 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
It has been a while since I have posted on the board - lots have happened, both good and bad. (For an example of the good, my wife and I had twins this past December, our first.)

The bad is work - really bad. I just had my year end review, and let's just say I was blindsided with the issues. Let's give a little history first, real quick and dirty.

I have been with this firm for 5 years, and for the two prior YER before my current manager took over after a re-organizational realignment (when he took over my job), I was among the top 5% performers in a firm with 24,000 people. I was promoted to a manager, and things were well. After the re-org, my new manager almost immediately decided to replace me with someone he said had more experience as a manager (he didn't know I was a manager for years before coming to this firm). He replaced me with an inexperienced manager who is very good with technical aspects of the job, but not leading people. I soon discovered there was nothing I could do to impress my new manager. My last two YER were the typical good performer (where 70% of the people will fit on the bell curve).

This past YER I was bumped down. He made up a lot of the information on the review, surprised me with a lot as well (which is against the firm's policy), and also had a lot of behavorial issues that are, in my opinion, minor - or at least, not worthy of a poor review. Examples (which I didn't get until YER, so no chance to make any corrections) would include people having a hard time initiating a conversation with me, but once we do, excellent communication skills, very attentive, responsive, etc. He has said my team has a problem voicing any concerns to me as well, but when I go to them, they say they do not. He says I appear to be disengaged (without giving me an example, of course), and I show him work - documented, proven work that show that I am definitely engaged. He stand by his statement that the persception is disinterest and disengagement, even though I may not be.

Yes, I took this up with HR, who did not help me at all. They completely sided with my boss, even though I proved to HR that my boss has lied about what is on my review.

My bipolar does make it slightly more difficult to cope with being in a strange, unfamiliar situations (though, when prepared, I am excellent). I am leery of strangers, I do appear aloof at times. I am working with my doctor to find the right blend of medications that will make me a peak performer (which I thought we had). I can explain a lot of what my boss's perceptions of me are by telling him and HR about my Bipolar. However, I am trying to move outside of my group and into aother group as a manager, and I am afraid that if they think my bipolar will cause problems as a manager, they will block my move. But, there is a chance they can move me back to a good performer and give me a raise (which helps when you suddenly have two newborn babies to look after - a boy and a girl!).

So, telling might help me right now with a better review, but might block my move to another position (or get me let go during the next purge, which has happened 5 times here in the last 2 1/2 years). Or I can shut up, continue to fight the inaccurate review, and hope I get those other positions.

Has anyone had any experience telling their company that they have bipolar (or other imbalance)? What was the outcome?

Sorry for the long post, but thank you for your support.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Berkshire Hathaway

IBM: Is Buffett Wrong, or Brilliant?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement