Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (25) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: TwoCybers Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 19483  
Subject: Re: Walmart Prescription Plan Date: 1/23/2013 12:53 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Birgit wrote
I did not sign up for partD because my supplement insurance (company provided) has drug benefits which were wonderful, with CareMark. This year, the plan went to CareMark's SilverScript - CVS Caremark Part D Services. So I guess I am now signed up for Part D?

How would I know what you are signed up or not for? But I do suggest you find out for at least these two reasons.

#1 I am not aware of any requirement a company provided drug plan cannot be canceled, changed or whatever at any time -- like in January.
#2 If you do not have an exclusion/exemption every month since you turned 65 without a Part-D plan will increase your future Part-D premiums by 1% from when you start until you stop paying for Part-D insurance. You could well be in a situation where saving a few bucks a year now will cost you more bucks a year for decades.

In the case of medicare medical insurance (Part-B), you avoid penalties and preserve your guaranteed right to buy insurance if and only if your have company medical insurance that provides coverages Medicare says meets/exceeds the Medicare standards. More specifically, medicare must approve the insurance plan each year. For major companies, the annual approvals by Medicare are pretty automatic for the insured. I have never heard that a similar exemption exists for Medicare Part-D.

CareMark is a brand name that offers Medicare Advantage Plans. If your "supplement insurance" is actually a Medicare Advantage Plan - these most often (as I understand it) include drug coverage satisfying the Part-D requirements.

This link
http://www.medicare.gov/supplement-other-insurance/medigap/w...
says as of January 1, 2006, Medigap or Medicare Supplement policies have not been allowed to provide drug coverage.

In the event you dig into this, I suggest you get your terms correct.

Gordon
Atlanta
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (25) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Looking at Currency Ratios
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement