UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (1) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: Michaelzehr Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 308557  
Subject: Bit of a happy dance Date: 11/25/2002 3:53 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 6
Hello fellow Fools,

I recently refinanced my house and am taking advantage of property prices and mortgage rates to greatly lower the average APR I'm paying on my debt.

For example the 7.9% short-term rate I had with Discover just went up to 19.99% with my last statement. Because of my refinance I was able to write them a 5-figure check so my balance with them is now 0. I was also able to do the same thing with MBNA and their 17.99% rate. Merrick bank's 21.99% card has been closed. (They bought my card from Next and raised the interest rate, but I hadn't been carrying a balance on it.)

While this isn't a true happy dance (I didn't pay off debt, just "balance transferred" it to a much lower rate), it still feels good to get those balances to 0. Less and less of my debt is at the variable rates that credit card companies have control over, and more and more of it is at a low fixed rate, freeing up cash flow to continue to pay down the highest interest debt.

Michael
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (1) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

TMF Credit Center
The Motley Fool Credit Center arms you with real tools and simple messages, that will help you in every credit situation.
Post of the Day:
Apple

Apple and Ninety Years Ago
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement