Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (11) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: MattMiler Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 6729  
Subject: Re: aggressive advise sought Date: 4/30/2000 4:41 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
bkgiroux-
We have similar portfolio goals and time horizons, so I thought I'd throw out a recommendation. Keep in mind that this is a subjective opinion.
SWEGX is an index of indexes. It represents the entire equity market, not just a subsection by capitalization or exchange. I consider a index of that nature to be VERY low risk over a long period of time. SWEGX also provides your portfolio with a great deal of diversification, lowering your downside risk.
For your current situation, I would recommend the following:
1) Continue monthly contributions to SWEGX for tax year 2000. Your should have a $4,000 balance in this index by year end.
2) Set a goal to write a lump-sum check for your 2001 IRA contribution on January 1, 2001. Make the $2,000 deposit and purchase a stock of your choosing with the funds (more on stock selection below).
3) Open a taxable Schwab account immediately with the $5,000 you have saved and purchase two stocks with the funds. I recommend a high growth, high risk stock with $2,000 of the funds and a bellweather stock with the other $3,000.

Your goal should be to hold your most aggressive stocks in your Roth IRA and your "safety nets" in your taxable account. In the future (2002 - retirement), focus on purchasing very aggressive stocks in the Roth IRA. Make monthly contributions to your taxable account and purchase either an index or shares of a "safer" stock when your cash exceeds $2000. The reason for seeking returns in the Roth is due to the tax advantages of paying no capital gains. Stay diverse, but also look for aggressive, growing companies.

Stock Selection:
I personally look for two kinds of companies in my portfolio:
a) High Growth, High Risk companies
b) "Technology Bellweathers"

I'd rather not recommend specific high-risk stocks, but your research should allow your to identify potential winners. For references sake, I hold RMBS, EXAR, TLCM and CYMI in this category. Stable, high-growth companies can be easier to identify. These are the companies like SUNW, DELL, GE, TYC, ORCL ect... that get talked about every day on CNBC. You probably won't get a 100% annual return on any of these (although SUNW has returned 120% since last July) but you are likely to find 12 - 15% annual returns on most of these stocks, very solid for long-term holdings.

As for brokerage choices, I also use Schwab. $30 per trade isn't a lot if you only make three or four trades a year. Service is excellent. Web site is great.

Best of luck,

Matt
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (11) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Apple

Apple and Ninety Years Ago
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement