No. of Recommendations: 0
blacktreechaser,

You wrote, Have a financial news program running in the background, and they discussed an exceptionally large option trade made yesterday in TLT. I don't know what TLT is, but the option trader was betting that the Fed would not raise rates.

TLT is the iShares 20 Year Treasury Long Bond ETF. All it holds is Treasuries of 20 years or more maturity. Simpler and lower granularity method for getting into and out of long-dated Treasury bonds.

And, According to the guy talking on the television...that option trader made 200% on their investment....and suggested that..."somebody knew something"

Buying a short-dated ATM call on TLT yesterday before the announcement would have been quite profitable. Of course I was kind of expecting the next move to be in December, not September, so I suppose I was stupid not to do what that trader did... Doesn't mean I knew anything. ;-)

- Joel
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement