Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (23) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: edcosoft Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121572  
Subject: Re: Underpayment of estimated tax Date: 10/27/1999 10:06 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
BladeXrunners:

I should have said, "you don't even have to do the AI to realize there's no penalty". I don't know why anyone would go out of their way to owe penalty on an AI if they are exempt otherwise, however, you said:

Because there is tax due, you can't use the Regular Method of equal installment payment of $0
each. Hence, you're force to either use the uneven payment or the annualized payment. In both
case, you would be penalized.

and You may only consider 90% of the tax for safe harbor for the <whole> year if the estimated tax
is in even installment or in one-lump sum on the previous April 15. For all other situation, it is
per period. So in the above example, the IRS will disagree with edcosoft--if you use the AI
Annualized Method, there will be a penalty regardless of what the year tax is.

I don't know what you mean " by period" but if you just put the figures on page one of 2210 you'll see what I mean. You don't even need our Quarterly Installment Tax Calculator to do this. But specifically, the estimated tax is (in this case) in even installments of $0, or more specifically, of no concern. The safe harbor comes from deducting withholding from tax due and if you owe less than $1000 or it's more than 90%, you made it, or if you deduct it from last year's tax and it is less than $0 remaining, no penalty.

Even if there were uneven installments it doesn't keep you from satisfying a safe harbor, it's just that you can't use installments to satisfy a safe harbor that allows you to not even file a Forn 2210.

The 4 equal installments only allow you to meet the no penalty safe harbor at Line 18 without filling out the Regular Method of Form 2210, and if you fall short, figure the penalty on the Short Method. Ed

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (23) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Economic Implications of Cuba
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement