Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (13) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: alstroemeria Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 440905  
Subject: Blasphemy! Date: 12/3/2012 4:11 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 6
Man faces jail for revealing that "miraculous tears" trickling down a statue of Jesus in Mumbai came from clogged sewage pipes.

"There is a huge contradiction in the content of the Indian constitution which guarantees freedom of speech and the blasphemy law from 1860 under then colonial rule," Edamaruku told the Guardian in an interview in Dublin.

"This blasphemy law can affect anyone in India – even a girl recently who wrote on Facebook against closing down a city because of the death of a famous local politician. She was prosecuted under the blasphemy law and another girl who 'liked' her comment on Facebook was also arrested and then charged with blasphemy."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/nov/23/india-blasphemy-...
Print the post Back To Top
Author: AngelMay Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 414142 of 440905
Subject: Re: Blasphemy! Date: 12/3/2012 10:33 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
We are only one or two steps away from this kind of thing here as well. So those of you out there shaking your heads at this had better wake up and smell the home-grown stench before it suffocates us.

AM

Author: 1poorguy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 414144 of 440905
Subject: Re: Blasphemy! Date: 12/3/2012 10:45 AM
IMO, if you live somewhere with blasphemy laws then you are not living in a free country.

JMO.

Author: goofnoff Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 414149 of 440905
Subject: Re: Blasphemy! Date: 12/3/2012 11:26 AM
We are only one or two steps away from this kind of thing here as well.

Bingo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Author: MDGluon Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 414150 of 440905
Subject: Re: Blasphemy! Date: 12/3/2012 11:29 AM
Recommendations: 2
IMO, if you live somewhere with blasphemy laws then you are not living in a free country.

JMO.

Was not too long ago then that we were not "free"....or relatively so.
Of course it seems to me that many hard right conservative evangelical christians would love to return to the old Blasphemy laws.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blasphemy_law_in_the_United_Sta...

Massachusetts, Michigan, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Wyoming, and Pennsylvania have laws that make reference to blasphemy.[1] Some US states still have blasphemy laws on the books from the founding days. For example, Chapter 272 of the Massachusetts General Laws — a provision based on a similar colonial era Massachusetts Bay statute enacted in 1697 — states:
Section 36. Whoever willfully blasphemes the holy name of God by denying, cursing or contumeliously reproaching God, His creation, government or final judging of the world, or by cursing or contumeliously reproaching Jesus Christ or the Holy Ghost, or by cursing or contumeliously reproaching or exposing to contempt and ridicule, the holy word of God contained in the holy scriptures shall be punished by imprisonment in jail for not more than one year or by a fine of not more than three hundred dollars, and may also be bound to good behavior.
The history of Maryland's blasphemy statutes suggests that even into the 1930s, the First Amendment was not recognized as preventing states from passing such laws.

Heck, I remember many of the old "Sunday Blues" laws such as o selling of Beer, wine, or Liquor on Sunday...Idaho got rid of that one only about 4 years ago.

md (Blashpemy, another word for "shut up and color")

Author: sano Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 414153 of 440905
Subject: Re: Blasphemy! Date: 12/3/2012 11:40 AM
Recommendations: 1
We are only one or two steps away from this kind of thing here as well.

I would expect the 1st amendment will protect us pretty well. All but a few religious zealots like the 1st.

Author: 1poorguy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 414154 of 440905
Subject: Re: Blasphemy! Date: 12/3/2012 11:43 AM
Was not too long ago then that we were not "free"....or relatively so.

I don't doubt it. We ARE freer today in many ways (and not as free in others). Buying booze on Sunday isn't a 'right' the same as speaking your mind is, though. At least for now we can speak our minds, even if the 'good Christian evangelists' don't like it. Hopefully they'll never again have enough sway to challenge that.

Author: AngelMay Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 414156 of 440905
Subject: Re: Blasphemy! Date: 12/3/2012 11:47 AM
Recommendations: 4

I would expect the 1st amendment will protect us pretty well. All but a few religious zealots like the 1st.

Not really.
While you may have the right to speak, you may pay for that speech in any number of ways depending upon where you live in this country. Atheists who have dared to speak in some areas have been all but physically driven from their homes and communities. Their children are persecuted in the schools. They are refused services at businesses. They ultimately have no recourse but to leave. The first amendment does not protect these people.

It is easy to write a law. It is much more difficult to enforce it.
And in the meantime, real people suffer at the hands of mindless zealots.

AM

Author: sano Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 414163 of 440905
Subject: Re: Blasphemy! Date: 12/3/2012 12:26 PM
And in the meantime, real people suffer at the hands of mindless zealots.

You ever been in jail, AM?

The sufferings you've listed, while a nuisance and unpleasant, are a far cry from being jailed in India.

- keeping it real.

Author: AngelMay Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 414170 of 440905
Subject: Re: Blasphemy! Date: 12/3/2012 12:55 PM
Recommendations: 2
You ever been in jail, AM?

No. Have you?

The sufferings you've listed, while a nuisance and unpleasant, are a far cry from being jailed in India.

- keeping it real.

I wasn't talking about being jailed in India.
If you were paying attention you would know that I was responding to a post that stated we are protected by the first amendment. I merely pointing out that we are not actually protected at all. Laws can be written, but if the population of the area in which you live ignores them (including the people who are supposed to be enforcing them) then you have no protection whatsoever.

And I can guarantee you that it is very real to the family who suffers at the hands of our own home-grown religious zealots. They often lose their homes and their jobs. That is a VERY real situation.

AM

Author: sano Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 414173 of 440905
Subject: Re: Blasphemy! Date: 12/3/2012 1:19 PM
Post #1, the OP: "Man faces jail for revealing that "miraculous tears" trickling down a statue of Jesus in Mumbai"

Post #2 in thread: "We are only one or two steps away from this kind of thing here as well. "

I wasn't talking about being jailed in India.
If you were paying attention you would know that I was responding to a post that stated we are protected by the first amendment.

Well, you fooled me. I thought we were discussing the OP.

Author: rmhj Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 414192 of 440905
Subject: Re: Blasphemy! Date: 12/3/2012 4:01 PM
AM: I wasn't talking about being jailed in India.
If you were paying attention you would know that I was responding to a post that stated we are protected by the first amendment. I merely pointing out that we are not actually protected at all. Laws can be written, but if the population of the area in which you live ignores them (including the people who are supposed to be enforcing them) then you have no protection whatsoever.

And I can guarantee you that it is very real to the family who suffers at the hands of our own home-grown religious zealots. They often lose their homes and their jobs. That is a VERY real situation.

True enough, but the first amendment only covers government behavior, not those of the people (or corporations). This country is a lot better than it was a century ago, but there are always anachronisms.

rj

Author: AngelMay Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 414204 of 440905
Subject: Re: Blasphemy! Date: 12/3/2012 6:14 PM
Well, you fooled me.

Obviously.
And I didn't even break a sweat. :)

AM

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (13) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement