UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: ccaawwss Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 265871  
Subject: blocking phone solicitations Date: 1/27/2001 11:25 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Hi Fools!

I'm hoping someone out there is Fooldom is able to help me with a non-financial question. I'm trying to find the name of the business one can contact to stop unwanted phone solicitations. My elederly aunt has been the victim of too many phone scams, so I'd like to see if we can have her name put on a "no solicitations list". Any help will be GREATLY appreciated.

Kelly
Print the post Back To Top
Author: TMFKeeler Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 154880 of 265871
Subject: Re: blocking phone solicitations Date: 1/27/2001 1:43 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
>>>
I'm trying to find the name of the business one can
contact to stop unwanted phone solicitations. My elederly aunt has been the victim of too many phone scams, so I'd like to see if we can
have her name put on a "no solicitations list". Any help will be GREATLY appreciated.

<<<

Sorry, I don't know it off the top of my head. I would try asking on the Living Below Your Means message board in the Managing Your Finances folder. Those Fools would be all over something like that. Just hit Discussion Boards on the home page or Folders below :)

Patrick

A Fool and his money are soon partying
;-)

Author: uncledenny Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 154912 of 265871
Subject: Re: blocking phone solicitations Date: 1/27/2001 6:56 PM
I found myself in a similar situation a few years back and did an internet search. I found many interesting sights. Some offered some real advise and some offered some fun ways to deter the phone solicitations.
The most interesting information I found was, once you ask to be taken off of someone's solicitation list, it is unlawful for them to call you again. This will stop the repetable companies from calling. Threat of a suit may be required to keep the rest away.

denny

Author: uncledenny Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 154913 of 265871
Subject: Re: blocking phone solicitations Date: 1/27/2001 6:59 PM
An MSN search typing in "telephone solicitations" picked up a bunch of hits. The first on the list was http://www.pe.net/~bidstrup/phone.htm.

Good Luck!

denny

Author: liam1128 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 155173 of 265871
Subject: Re: blocking phone solicitations Date: 1/30/2001 1:07 AM
I found a cool way to achieve some remarkable results, not with a service but rather a device. Last year for Christmas I found at my local department store, in the electronics section, a really neat thing.

It is made by Zenith, and called a ZEP100.

It cost 10 bucks, and it is a little button that works as an intercept between your phone and the direct phone line. You plug the phone line into the device, and it has an outbound cord into your phone. When you get one of those calls, you simply press the button, hang up and the device takes over. A Bell Sounds in the callers ear and a pleasant male voice gives an announcement, "I'm sorry, this number does not accept this type of call. Please remove this number from your calling list. (bell sounds again) and the message repeats until the caller hangs up.

The best part is that it is my understanding that if a telemarketer is asked to remove your name from their calling list, they are required by federal law to comply.

This of course does not mean they will not call again, but with this handy gadget on the job, you Aunt will be able to shut down the call, and not feel bad, the device delivers the news to the telemarketer.

Best $10 I ever spent!

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement