Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (56) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: dianakalt Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 58724  
Subject: Bloodwork Results! Date: 4/10/2013 10:36 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Hey all,

This week I wrote a blog entry on my bloodwork results after making some changes to my diet. It's found here....

http://wp.me/p2RpWd-6l

To be honest, I was absolutely stunned at these improvements because my numbers weren't too shabby to begin with. So I'm very interested to hear whether any of you have had similar results while working on improving your diet and/losing weight. More stories, please!

Diana
Print the post Back To Top
Author: legalwordwarrior Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 57806 of 58724
Subject: Re: Bloodwork Results! Date: 4/10/2013 10:52 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Great job, Diana! Your numbers look awesome. My numbers haven't been quite as good, but I have improved my HDL to the point that my doctor was willing to let me try just using diet and exercise for a few months to improve the rest of my numbers. I'll get the testing done after my birthday.

DH has been very faithful to his paleo plan and his bootcamp workouts. His weight and numbers have been spectacular. His doctor is just amazed every time he comes in for a checkup. Last week he was in Denver and completed a Crossfit challenge night with no problems at all. Not bad for a Texan suddenly deprived of atmosphere ;0)

Keep up the good work!

LWW

Author: Patzer Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 57807 of 58724
Subject: Re: Bloodwork Results! Date: 4/10/2013 2:13 PM
To be honest, I was absolutely stunned at these improvements because my numbers weren't too shabby to begin with. So I'm very interested to hear whether any of you have had similar results while working on improving your diet and/losing weight. More stories, please!

February 2011 to February 2013:

Weight down ~30 lbs from low 190s to low 160s.

Fitness: Became a runner. Achieved the ability to do pullups.

Diet: Massive improvement from not paying attention to monitoring everything. Lots of fruits, less vegetables, calories 19-22% protein, 20-23% fat, 50-60% carbs. Did *not* cut out sugar, but eat a lot less candy and a lot more fresh produce. Not doing paleo or low carb, but aiming for more protein than the minimum 10-11% of calories that is recommended for a "balanced" diet.

Blood work:

Total Cholesterol, 181 to 155
HDL, 61 to 76
LDL, 106 to 68
Triglycerides, 72 to 53
Glucose, 73 to 93 (can't win 'em all)

Resting pulse rate: low 60s to upper 40s

More stuff going on here than just diet, so I can't say how much is diet, how much is weight control, and how much is fitness.

Oddly enough, the bad point was vitamin D. I'm currently on a supplement for 3 months, then we recheck.

Patzer

Author: tconi Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 57808 of 58724
Subject: Re: Bloodwork Results! Date: 4/10/2013 8:11 PM
Oddly enough, the bad point was vitamin D.

join the club

(last tested with a level of 19)

peace & time for a recheck
t

Author: LQu Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Favorite Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 57809 of 58724
Subject: Re: Bloodwork Results! Date: 4/10/2013 9:23 PM
join the club
(last tested with a level of 19)
peace & time for a recheck

t
Laura*

*20 in Dec - recheck in May - 10k/day +/- has made a WORLD of difference

Author: legalwordwarrior Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 57810 of 58724
Subject: Re: Bloodwork Results! Date: 4/10/2013 10:47 PM
Great numbers, Patzer! I'm sure the D will come around as well.

LWW

Author: dianakalt Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 57811 of 58724
Subject: Re: Bloodwork Results! Date: 4/11/2013 12:58 PM
Great job, Diana! Your numbers look awesome. My numbers haven't been quite as good, but I have improved my HDL to the point that my doctor was willing to let me try just using diet and exercise for a few months to improve the rest of my numbers. I'll get the testing done after my birthday.

Yeah, my HDL is a little lower than they like it but is close enough the doc hasn't complained too much yet. I'm trying to keep consistent with my fish oil. I should add more fish to my diet too but I've struggled with this because I do most of my cooking on the weekend and fish is not something that tends to keep very well.

DH has been very faithful to his paleo plan and his bootcamp workouts. His weight and numbers have been spectacular. His doctor is just amazed every time he comes in for a checkup. Last week he was in Denver and completed a Crossfit challenge night with no problems at all. Not bad for a Texan suddenly deprived of atmosphere ;0)

I'm so proud to hear that he is doing well. How strict is he being with his paleo? I'd call myself paleo-lite, since I am too lazy to make my own condiments and I still have maybe 1 serving of dairy and 1 of grain per day. Also what made him choose paleo?

Author: dianakalt Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 57813 of 58724
Subject: Re: Bloodwork Results! Date: 4/11/2013 1:02 PM
Blood work:

Total Cholesterol, 181 to 155
HDL, 61 to 76
LDL, 106 to 68
Triglycerides, 72 to 53
Glucose, 73 to 93 (can't win 'em all)

Resting pulse rate: low 60s to upper 40s

Wow, Patzer. Just, Wow.
My HDL is 39, so I can hardly conceive of how one gets to a 76 rating on this one. What on earth are you doing?

Oddly enough, the bad point was vitamin D. I'm currently on a supplement for 3 months, then we recheck.

My Vitamin D situation is a disaster. I first had it checked about 2-3 years ago when I started hearing more about the prevalence of deficiency from people. First time I got this checked, my level was 13. OUCH. No wonder I felt awful. I've been through about 4 cycles of hyperdosing D, retesting, then doing a daily supplement - with the daily supplement increasing every time. I've never managed to get my D to stay about 40 for any length of time. Last time I'd been on 10,000 IU of D3 per day for 7 months and the rating was 30. It's aggravating to be sure.

d

Author: LQu Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Favorite Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 57814 of 58724
Subject: Re: Bloodwork Results! Date: 4/11/2013 1:36 PM
I've been through about 4 cycles of hyperdosing D, retesting, then doing a daily supplement - with the daily supplement increasing every time. I've never managed to get my D to stay about 40 for any length of time. Last time I'd been on 10,000 IU of D3 per day for 7 months and the rating was 30. It's aggravating to be sure.

Ouch! 13! That was supercritically, rickets-causing low. Good on getting it to 30. Hope you can get it up some more.

Couple of questions - what D supplementation have you used, Diana? Did the doctor give you prescription D? That's in the form of D2, which they have found to be less helpful than the more bio-available form of D3.

I don't know what OTC one you may have used, but whenever I've needed to get my levels up, the NOW Foods 5000IU D3 gelcaps have worked fast for me. I get it at www.iherb.com or www.amazon.com. I was able to get my level up from 20 to 55 over just a few months. I find that, being in the NE, I need to consistantly average 5k/day as a maintenance dose (excluding Jun/Jul/Aug in Portugal) or I get low again.

I dropped down to 20 again by this past mid-December. I ran out in September and didn't reorder. I was feeling crappy...lethargic, aches/pains, lousy mood, etc...and had my levels checked. You'd think with all the sun in Portugal I'd be all set for a while. Noooo..... I took 10k/day of the NOW Foods D3 and felt HUGELY better after just a week. I'm still taking it. I get tested again next month.

The good news is that if you can increase it more, both mood and ease of weight loss improve. Plus all the extra heath benefits. D is important for a lot more than bones. It's actually more of a pre-hormone than a vitamin.

Laura

Author: dianakalt Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 57815 of 58724
Subject: Re: Bloodwork Results! Date: 4/11/2013 2:50 PM
Ouch! 13! That was supercritically, rickets-causing low. Good on getting it to 30. Hope you can get it up some more.

Cool. Now I am picturing myself going all bowlegged.

But yeah, I know 13 was really really bad. My doctor was floored when he saw that result - it's bad even for White Girls In Midwest Winter.

Couple of questions - what D supplementation have you used, Diana? Did the doctor give you prescription D? That's in the form of D2, which they have found to be less helpful than the more bio-available form of D3.

My daily supplements have been D3, but the hyperdoses cycles I've been through were D2. After emailing back and forth with my doctor, we decided that instead of the D2 hyperdose I would just continue with D3 at 10,000IU per day and retest in a few month.

The good news is that if you can increase it more, both mood and ease of weight loss improve. Plus all the extra heath benefits. D is important for a lot more than bones. It's actually more of a pre-hormone than a vitamin.

I know this is the case, which is why I'm such a pest to my doctor about it. If I have to go in for ANY bloodwork, I always make him check my D. My bet is that when I retest in a few months, it will be higher but it will be more because of summmer sun than the supplement. It is totally weird to me that I would be taking this much per day and still only be at 30.

d

lethargic, depressed girl.

Author: VeeEnn Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 57816 of 58724
Subject: Re: Bloodwork Results! Date: 4/11/2013 2:58 PM

But you're not bow-legged from rickets, right?....and FWIW, you're not going to be. Really...no REALLY

Rickets is a disease of development, not deficiency per se Don't allow yourself to be alarmed by alarmism that isn't based on fact.

Author: dianakalt Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 57817 of 58724
Subject: Re: Bloodwork Results! Date: 4/11/2013 3:06 PM
But you're not bow-legged from rickets, right?....and FWIW, you're not going to be. Really...no REALLY

Rickets is a disease of development, not deficiency per se Don't allow yourself to be alarmed by alarmism that isn't based on fact.

It was a joke, Vee. I forgot my <sarcasm> </sarcasm> tags. :)

Author: VeeEnn Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 57818 of 58724
Subject: Re: Bloodwork Results! Date: 4/11/2013 3:17 PM
It was a joke, Vee. I forgot my <sarcasm> </sarcasm> tags. :)

Indeed it was, Diana.....I *got it* (I forgot my <sympatico> </sympatico> tags ) However, as you can see, there are folk offering up this sort of advice and warning on the Internet who aren't joking (I assume)

Not everyone reading this thread understands what rickets is.

Author: Patzer Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 57819 of 58724
Subject: Re: Bloodwork Results! Date: 4/11/2013 4:07 PM
Wow, Patzer. Just, Wow.
My HDL is 39, so I can hardly conceive of how one gets to a 76 rating on this one. What on earth are you doing?

Running 3 days a week, when not sidelined by injuries. Walking briskly (~14 minutes per mile) on non-running days. Pushups every morning. Pullups du jour every morning (rotating between neutral grip, pronated narrow grip, chinups, and pronated doorframe width grip in a four day cycle). When the tests were done, I had been doing some strength training too; I'm off that for tax season.

Eating to maintain weight, which is currently (don't shoot me) about 3000 calories per day. These are spread between carbs, fat, and protein by the SparkPeople recommended ranges, modified to increase the minimum protein.

Sometimes I come up short on the fat grams; my go to food to make the minimum is almonds. Or sometimes eggs. Yes, whole eggs including the yolks, particularly when I need both fat and protein to make minimums.

I always have to consider getting enough protein. Other go to proteins are baked chicken breast (chopped to be an ingredient), tuna, low fat cottage cheese, and Greek yogurt.

Carbs pretty much take care of themselves, and typically come in between 55% and 60% of my daily calories. I have a sweet tooth, and every day I have some candy. Most days it isn't much; the candy canes that would have lasted me till Valentine's Day before I started tracking food are still around for Tax Day this year.

I do not claim this is the *best* diet or that it will work for everyone; it works for me.

I may have got a boost from my genetics on the cholesterol front; but even before I got serious about controlling what I ate, I walked a lot and could do 15 minute miles walking for several miles. I'm not so sure I believe in a strong genetic benefit on cholesterol, as I have a family tree full of stroke and atherosclerosis. Hence the old fart desire to control what risk factors I can.

My Vitamin D situation is a disaster. I first had it checked about 2-3 years ago when I started hearing more about the prevalence of deficiency from people. First time I got this checked, my level was 13.

Okay, I looked. Vitamin D went from 25 in 2011 to 15 in 2013. The doctor didn't complain in 2011. In 2013 I got a note attached to the lab results to take 2000 IU supplement per day, maybe 4000 for a few weeks to build levels.

The Vitamin D thing is new to me. I will have to pay attention and see if it becomes something chronic. I don't know if there's something about the fitness efforts that I ramped up in that period that sucked up more vitamin D, or what. FWIW, the supplement bottle says to take them with food; so I take it with my egg at breakfast. I figure if I need fat to absorb the D, that's the best I'm going to do until the recheck.

Patzer

Author: LQu Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Favorite Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 57820 of 58724
Subject: Re: Bloodwork Results! Date: 4/11/2013 4:08 PM
It is totally weird to me that I would be taking this much per day and still only be at 30.

FYI - being in the mid-west, you could lay outside all day buck naked from November to March and not absorb any Vitamin D from the sun. It's too low of an angle to trigger D production in the skin.

Add to that - during the months when D production is possible, you have an indoor job. If you get sun exposure early a.m. or late p.m., same problem - the angle is too low. Do you use sunblock when you do get out in the mid-day hours? That blocks D too.

Even if you have nice, big windows that let in lots of sunshine in the office, it only lets in UVA rays. Glass blocks UVB. UVA-only rays degrade....you guessed it....Vitamin D.

While you have been doing an absolutely fab job of getting your weight down, being overweight inhibits synthesis of D.

I bet you shower, yes? :-) Recent studies have found that showering/bathing after sun exposure reduces D metabolism. Your skin hasn't had a chance to fully synthesize the D after the exposure, so you are "washing away" some of the D, so to speak. There was an interesting comparison between windsurfers in Hawaii and lifeguards who didn't go in the water (for the most part). The surfers had lower levels than one would expect for their amount of exposure. The lifeguards had the highest (upwards to 100 ng/ml).

As one ages, D metabolism is reduced too. Now, I know you're not 70, but 70-year olds only make 25% of the D that a 20-year-old does.

You aren't dark-skinned, but the more one is, the more time is needed in good, direct sun to trigger sufficient D. A light-skinned person might need about 15, tanned/brown 30-60 and dark-skinned 1-2 hours.

We were biologically designed to be outside, not stuck in modern-day caves, aka offices.

The average sun exposure yeilds 10-20k of D. After that, the body stops producing more. So you are not dosing something that is out of biological range. As the understanding of D has grown, so has our knowledge of what is toxic. Or not. The old range of 400IU as a daily requirement is woefully inadequate. Do you know how they came up with that? It was the amount of D in a tabkespoon of cod liver oil, which was what was originally used to cure children from rickets back when D was discovered. Urban children working indoors in sweatshop factories were coming down with it, while their outdoors rural counterparts weren't, even if poor and not well-nourished. Now the body won't overdose on D from the sun, but you can push your levels over the body's natural shut-off with the oral dosing. The the need for periodic testing.

Are you still taking the D3 at 10k/day? Don't be bummed by it. It might just be that is what you need to take for your geographical, biological and health situation. The good thing is that you are monitoring it with your doctor.

You don't take antacids do you? They shouldn't be taken at the same time/near dosing with D. They inhibit absorption.

There are some other health conditions that inhibit absorption too. Malabsorption issues from gluten intolerance or Candida issues come to mind. There are others, as well as some medications.

If for any reason you can't get a D bloodtest via your physician, or your insurance limits you to only 1/year, I have had good success with blood tests via www.healthcheckusa.com. The results have always been comparable to my insurance- covered results. There are some years, with deductibles and whatnot, it wad cheaper to use them and pay out-of-pocket at jnsurance-inflated prices. If you Gokgle, there's usually a 10% off coupon floating around too. Tconi has used them as well.

HTH,

Laura

Author: ilmostro Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 57821 of 58724
Subject: Re: Bloodwork Results! Date: 4/11/2013 4:32 PM
I have had good success with blood tests via www.healthcheckusa.com.

Looking at that website their Vitamin D test costs $95 so even with a 10% discount it is a lot more expensive than the Vitamin D tests I bought at www.vitamindcouncil.org which use zrtlabs.

I bought the 4 pack for $220 (price per of $55) or you can order a single test for $65.

I only test twice a year. Once in dead of winter and once in the middle of summer since these two measurements will usually have the widest disparity of results.

It is a simple bloodspot test that you prick your finger with the included lancet and drop some blood on the media. So much easier than going to a doctor and sometimes cheaper too depending upon your insurance situation.

Bryan

Author: ilmostro Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 57822 of 58724
Subject: Re: Bloodwork Results! Date: 4/11/2013 4:40 PM
Recommendations: 2

The best info I have ever read on how to raise your hdl is here:
http://perfecthealthdiet.com/2011/04/how-to-raise-hdl/

Coconut oil!

Bryan

Author: LQu Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Favorite Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 57823 of 58724
Subject: Re: Bloodwork Results! Date: 4/11/2013 4:59 PM
Thanks for mentioning ZRT Labs. I knew of them, but hadn't used them yet.

Healthcheck went up on their stand-alone D. It used to be $65, like ZRT, not $95. Bummer. But it is a better price when it is combined with other tests. For example, their Vitamin Deficiency panel includes the following for $170, before any discounts:

Super Chemistry (Complete Metabolic Panel, which includes cholesterol and glucose, among others, along with CBC)
Vitamin D, 25 Hydroxy
Vitamin B-12 with Folate
Magnesium

Is there a timeframe in which you have to use the 4-pack of D tests from ZRT?

Laura

Author: VeeEnn Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 57824 of 58724
Subject: Re: Bloodwork Results! Date: 4/11/2013 5:00 PM
The best info I have ever read on how to raise your hdl is here:
http://perfecthealthdiet.com/2011/04/how-to-raise-hdl/

Coconut oil!

Well, FWIW, I've recently missed out on the lowest premium for a new Life Insurance based on my *borderline high cholesterol* .... thanks to an HDL of over 90.

I laugh at websites such as http://perfecthealthdiet.com/2011/04/how-to-raise-hdl/

Perhaps that's The Secret.

Author: LQu Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Favorite Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 57825 of 58724
Subject: Re: Bloodwork Results! Date: 4/11/2013 5:03 PM

Psst...Vee...it was a comparative statement, not a diagnostic one.

Not that having a level of 13 is a good thing long-term, right? I assume you aren't postulating that.

Laura

Author: ilmostro Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 57826 of 58724
Subject: Re: Bloodwork Results! Date: 4/11/2013 5:10 PM
Is there a timeframe in which you have to use the 4-pack of D tests from ZRT?

Not that I am aware of. There is no date or expiration date on the packages. Something to consider if getting the 4 test package and only testing twice a yr.
I bought the 4 pack but used it on 2 people so there was only 6 months or so between the first and 2nd test.

Bryan

Author: VeeEnn Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 57827 of 58724
Subject: Re: Bloodwork Results! Date: 4/11/2013 5:14 PM
Psst...Vee...it was a comparative statement, not a diagnostic one.

However, you should be aware that there really are folk who don't understand about the causation of rickets. Your statements should be knowledgable and informative in a worthwhile way that accommodates this reality.

Not that having a level of 13 is a good thing long-term, right?..

I can't offer up a worthwhile opinion either way on a *level of 13* since I have no special insight or knowledge base into what a *level of 13* actually means.

Author: concordiadiscors Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 57828 of 58724
Subject: Re: Bloodwork Results! Date: 4/11/2013 7:20 PM

My husband just had bloodwork done and his vitamin D was at 13 as well. The doctor told him to take 1000 IU of D3 daily, but it sounds like it wouldn't hurt to take more. He'll have a retest at the end of May. I'm taking 1000 IU myself, but I don't actually know what my levels are so perhaps I should wait until I get bloodwork done next month before any additional supplementation.

In any case, I sure don't want either of us to get rickets, because that would be bad. I don't want to walk bowlegged for the rest of my life, because that would be weird and stuff. After all, you said that I might get rickets!

Author: LQu Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Favorite Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 57829 of 58724
Subject: Re: Bloodwork Results! Date: 4/11/2013 8:05 PM
My husband just had bloodwork done and his vitamin D was at 13 as well. The doctor told him to take 1000 IU of D3 daily, but it sounds like it wouldn't hurt to take more.

From what I've read of the research on the intramawebs (not that you can ever trust that or anything), each 1000IU raised blood levels by 10 ng/ml over 2-3 months (not to be confused with nmol/L, which you will sometimes see quoted instead - multiply by ng/ml by 2.5, well...really...2.496, but I didn't think you could handle that). So that would only be likely to get him to, uhm...23..did I add right?

Some of those not-to-be trusted links:

Dosage of Vitamin D Needed To Achieve 35 to 40 ng/ml (90-100 nmol/L)
http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/589256_8
Health care professionals need to keep in mind that in general, 100 IU (2.5 mcg) of vitamin D per day can raise the vitamin D blood test only 1 ng/ml or just 2.5 nmol/L after 2 to 3 months.

Vitamin D and Sunlight: Strategies for Cancer Prevention and Other Health Benefits
Michael F. Holick, M.D., PhD
http://cjasn.asnjournals.org/content/3/5/1548.full
It has been estimated that for every 100 IU of vitamin D ingested, there is an increase in the blood level of 25(OH)D of 1 ng/ml (2.5 nmol/L) (14,15)

Holick is one of the premier researchers and academics in the Vitamin D field at the Boston University Medical Center
http://www.bumc.bu.edu/endo/faculty/holick/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_F._Holick
(not that you should trust Wiki)

There are some more threads of mis-information about D over on the Health and Nutrition board if you want to take a gander. The most recent:
http://boards.fool.com/vitamin-d-30618506.aspx?sort=whole#30...

An older one:
http://boards.fool.com/everything-ive-been-reading-says-that...
http://boards.fool.com/good-explanation-of-why-the-d3-for-29...
(that one's on D's board)

After all, you said that I might get rickets!

LOL!

Laura

Author: ilmostro Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 57830 of 58724
Subject: Re: Bloodwork Results! Date: 4/11/2013 9:00 PM
My husband just had bloodwork done and his vitamin D was at 13 as well. The doctor told him to take 1000 IU of D3 daily, but it sounds like it wouldn't hurt to take more.

Dr. Davis has this to say about D:
http://www.wheatbellyblog.com/2013/01/nutritional-supplement...

" I have found that most people require 4000-8000 units per day in gelcap form to achieve a desirable 25-hydroxy vitamin D level; I aim for 60-70 ng/ml (150-180 nmol/L). (Tablets are poorly or erratically absorbed.)"

"The list of potential benefits of restoring vitamin D include relief from winter “blues,” heightened mental clarity, elevation of mood/relief from depression, improvement of memory; increased bone density/protection from osteoporosis and fracture; increased HDL cholesterol, reduced blood sugar/enhanced insulin sensitivity, reduced blood pressure; enhanced athletic performance; protection from colon, breast, prostate and other cancers; among many, many others."

"NOW, Carlson, Nordic Naturals, as well as Sam’s Club and Costco, sell excellent vitamin D preparations at reasonable cost."

I take 8,000 IU during winter, still need to determine optimal level for summer. But I currently take 4,000 in summer.
Bryan

Author: legalwordwarrior Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 57831 of 58724
Subject: Re: Bloodwork Results! Date: 4/11/2013 10:48 PM
I'm so proud to hear that he is doing well. How strict is he being with his paleo? I'd call myself paleo-lite, since I am too lazy to make my own condiments and I still have maybe 1 serving of dairy and 1 of grain per day. Also what made him choose paleo?

He says he's 100% paleo, 80% of the time :) He will occasionally have a treat, like a burger with a bun once every month or so, but for the most part, he sticks with it really well. He hasn't done dairy since last summer, and avoids grains as much as he can. He tries to stay as gluten free as possible.

His reason for trying it was pretty simple. He was doing his bootcamp workout and one of the trainers was talking about it. He'd done low carb previously and lost a lot of weight on it. His trainer told him to try it for 30 days. He did and discovered that he not only lost weight and gained energy, he quit having to take antacids! That was huge for him. He's taken Tums pretty much every night that I've known him over the past 30 years, but once he started paleo eating, he was able to give them up. The only time he has had heartburn in the past 7 months was when he had some pasta back in January while on a trip. He attributes his lack of heartburn to the lack of grains in his diet.

I won't lie, I'm jealous of his results, but not quite enough to do a bootcamp workout the way he does. However, I did get back into using the stairclimber last week and on Monday I did 40 minutes (up from 20 the previous week). Looking forward to hitting the gym tomorrow morning after I drop DS off at school.

LWW

Author: tconi Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 57832 of 58724
Subject: Re: Bloodwork Results! Date: 4/12/2013 5:53 AM

Mine is 74
(my LDL is 69)

I have no idea why/how, since it is not anything to which I I regularly pay attention -
But you know that I love to eat green stuff ...

peace & not Patzer
t

maybe it is just genetic?

Author: legalwordwarrior Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 57833 of 58724
Subject: Re: Bloodwork Results! Date: 4/12/2013 9:57 AM
Mine is 74
(my LDL is 69)

I have no idea why/how, since it is not anything to which I I regularly pay attention -
But you know that I love to eat green stuff ...

Mine is normally in the low 60s, but last spring, when I was hitting the weight training and workouts really hard it went up to 72. After getting sidelined with the broken foot, it went back down to the lower 60s. So I'm figuring since the only major change was the increased exercise component,the exercise probably had a hand in raising it.

I'm back on an exercise regimen this spring, in spite of being diagnosed with a neuroma at the base of my toes, so if my HDL is back up after I get my numbers run, I'll know that for me, at least, exercise is what raises it.

LWW

Author: LQu Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Favorite Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 57834 of 58724
Subject: Re: Bloodwork Results! Date: 4/12/2013 10:46 AM

In December, my HDL ws 71 and my triglycerides were 83. Glucose was 78.

Your comment made me think about why the numbers were good, since I wasn't going out of my way to do anything special. I have had lower HDL, although it has never been below 40. Back in 2008 it was 56. But overall, cholesterol, glucose and blood pressure (regularly around 110/70), have never been issues for me. So maybe some built-in good genetics. Low D, low ferritin, borderline low thyroid, hormone imbalance...yes. But I have been able to normalize those when I have paid attention to nutrition and supplementation.

Reading thru this, for example, I thought about which good points apply to me:
http://heartdisease.about.com/cs/cholesterol/a/raiseHDL.htm

Overall, I eat vegetables. I try to avoid stuff with trans fat/partially hydrogenated oils and processed junk food (unless DH brings home evil, irresistible Doritos, serving size 1 large bag, gah). I eat mostly home-cooked meals, including a lot of Portuguese soups with kale, beans and vegetables. When I eat fried food, it tends to be homemade, Portuguese stuff. I rarely eat fast-food or at American restaurants. I have a glass of wine every night. I eat a decent amount of fresh fish during the year, especially in the summer. That includes large, grilled Portuguese sardines (yum...these are *nothing* like canned sardines, bleh). A good amount of northern Atlantic codfish (bacahlau), both boiled and grilled. I eat more salmon in the winter and less of the others. Some canned tuna, here and there. I try to get wild-caught, not farm-raised. I'll use canned salmon or mackeral to supplement wild-caught. I eat some rabbit when I'm in Portugal.

I do eat conventionally-raised meat (beef, pork, chicken), although I am seriously considering switching to grass-fed. But I digress. Because the are grain-fed, I am pretty consistent with supplementing fish oil daily to get extra omega-3s and balance out the pro-inflammatory omega-6s in the meat. My skin always tells me if I stop for a while and I get back on the wagon. I eat eggs. I eat oatmeal (soluble fiber).

When I do eat McD's-type fast-food out of necessity/convenience/craving, I try to limit the damage by just getting a small cheeseburger and a cup of water. I skip the fries as much as possible. I'd get 2 small cheeseburgers rather than add a fry if I were really hungry. I don't know, but I think the transfats caused by repeated deep-frying in commercial oil are worse than eating something that resembles real food. I'll have them add extra lettuce, tomato and onion, even if it costs me a quarter. Extra crunch, more filling, and at least something that approximates a veggie serving. I sneak in some fries in Portugal, but they use different oils. I swear it's pure pork fat. They taste much better than US ones, with local, fresh potatoes sliced fresh that day. No frozen. No idea how those factors affect the nutrition, but the taste is better. I get a salad with the meal so I don't over-pig-out on them :-). I eat cheese. The good stuff, not processed American commercial stuff. I refuse to give that up.

What I have not been doing lately is getting good, regular, aerobic exercise, which is why I am going to get back into my running again (run/walk if you prefer, Galloway-style). Now that my D levels are back up and I have something that approaches energy again, that's possible. Thus the target half-marathon in the fall. And something for the upper body and core. I used to be able to bench-press close to my body weight at the time, in the past. Gah, not now. And the extra pounds need to go.

D - I don't have the numbers here, but the last time I trained for a marathon and dropped 30lbs, I recall my (already ok) numbers improved. My iron plummeted, but that's another story (not uncommon in runners, so I watch my diet and supplement). So perhaps as you continue with aerobic work and the pounds slowly fall off, your system will start to self-correct more. And if you can find any nutrition areas you can tweak more. There's hope. Keep at it :-).

Laura

Author: LQu Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Favorite Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 57835 of 58724
Subject: Re: Bloodwork Results! Date: 4/12/2013 10:55 AM
Oh, the olive oil. We use lots of olive oil (Mediterranean cooking, and all that). That was in there and got deleted when I re-pasted the reply.

Laura

Author: legalwordwarrior Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 57836 of 58724
Subject: Re: Bloodwork Results! Date: 4/12/2013 1:26 PM
Interesting notes from Livestrong. HDL above 90 is considered dangerous. Once more, too much of a good thing can be a bad thing, right?

http://www.livestrong.com/article/124361-abnormal-hdl-levels...

LWW

Author: LQu Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Favorite Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 57837 of 58724
Subject: Re: Bloodwork Results! Date: 4/13/2013 9:27 AM

D - I came across this article when I was looking up something on one of the other benefits of green tea and thought of you. Maybe it will give you some extra food options to explore (if you aren't doing them already), in addition to fish/fish oil, to improve you HDL/LDL:

8 Foods That Help Lower Cholesterol
http://www.aarp.org/health/healthy-living/info-09-2012/foods...

Laura

Author: VeeEnn Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 57838 of 58724
Subject: Re: Bloodwork Results! Date: 4/15/2013 9:15 AM
Interesting notes from Livestrong. HDL above 90 is considered dangerous....

Wondering what a lawyer would think if I consulted him/her to re-write my will .... seeing as Livestrong perceives my HDL of over 90 as "dangerous"

Author: tconi Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 57839 of 58724
Subject: Re: Bloodwork Results! Date: 4/15/2013 10:16 AM
Recommendations: 3
Wondering what a lawyer would think if I consulted him/her to re-write my will

As long as you were paying the hourly rate, I think a lawyer would not really care WHY* you were rewriting, or if you did it once a year/quarter/month...

peace & motivation
t

*alleged high HDL
*Alignment of the stars
*Seeing the Virgin Mary in a Grilled Cheese, marking the end of time

Author: legalwordwarrior Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 57840 of 58724
Subject: Re: Bloodwork Results! Date: 4/15/2013 10:25 AM
Recommendations: 6
Wondering what a lawyer would think if I consulted him/her to re-write my will .... seeing as Livestrong perceives my HDL of over 90 as "dangerous"

Probably not much, given that it's a lawyer and not a doctor. I'm sure, however, that said lawyer would jump at the chance to charge you for drafting the document.

Again, I was just noting that there is a range, and numbers that fall too high or too low are considered not to be good.

LWW

Author: VeeEnn Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 57841 of 58724
Subject: Re: Bloodwork Results! Date: 4/16/2013 7:41 AM
*alleged high HDL
*Alignment of the stars
*Seeing the Virgin Mary in a Grilled Cheese, marking the end of time

OMG...you've got Science By Press Release down to it's essence

peace & and at least someone's got it!!

Author: VeeEnn Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 57842 of 58724
Subject: Re: Bloodwork Results! Date: 4/16/2013 10:32 AM
I'm sure, however, that said lawyer would jump at the chance to charge you for drafting the document.

I don't doubt it. Lawyers, of course, are free to offer an alternative opinion

... and numbers that fall too high or too low are considered not to be good....

But of course.....anything that's too high or too low is, by definition. going to be *not good*

Author: tconi Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 57844 of 58724
Subject: Re: Bloodwork Results! Date: 4/18/2013 8:20 PM
Recommendations: 3
Lawyers, of course, are free

I see the words...

peace & this has not been my experience
t

Author: VeeEnn Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 57845 of 58724
Subject: Re: Bloodwork Results! Date: 4/20/2013 6:07 AM
Lawyers, of course, are free

I see the words...

Indeed.....but, apparently, you were unable/unwilling to represent them as written....

..don't doubt it. Lawyers, of course, are free to offer an alternative opinion

peace & not making $h!t up

Author: VeeEnn Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 57846 of 58724
Subject: Re: Bloodwork Results! Date: 4/20/2013 6:14 AM
And, of course, remembering the initial context...

Interesting notes from Livestrong. HDL above 90 is considered dangerous.

peace & getting your health information from knowledgable sources

Author: legalwordwarrior Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 57847 of 58724
Subject: Re: Bloodwork Results! Date: 4/20/2013 9:51 AM
Recommendations: 8
Indeed.....but, apparently, you were unable/unwilling to represent them as written....

..don't doubt it. Lawyers, of course, are free to offer an alternative opinion

peace & not making $h!t up

OMG, do you not have a sense of humor at all? It was a lawyer joke.

LWW

Author: Volucris Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 57848 of 58724
Subject: Re: Bloodwork Results! Date: 4/20/2013 6:34 PM
Recommendations: 4

Wrestling with a pig . . . . . . . .

Author: VeeEnn Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 57849 of 58724
Subject: Re: Bloodwork Results! Date: 4/22/2013 8:33 AM

Indeed it was.....at least on my part ..... initially

But what you've reproduced here is a combo of two individual responses to two different posters. I'm pointing this out because even though I'm sure you might well be aware, it seems to me that there might be some confusion WRT the intent of my replies.

Not everyone shares our sense of humour.

I love lawyer jokes!

Author: VeeEnn Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 57850 of 58724
Subject: Re: Bloodwork Results! Date: 4/22/2013 8:36 AM

.....depends on the size of the *pig* and how many wrestlers there are???

I'm not familiar with this particular adage.......but it doesn't seem to me that it makes much of a contribution that's worthwhile to anything other than trying to score a point that'd be better sat on.

Author: legalwordwarrior Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 57851 of 58724
Subject: Re: Bloodwork Results! Date: 4/22/2013 8:59 AM
Recommendations: 9
But what you've reproduced here is a combo of two individual responses to two different posters. I'm pointing this out because even though I'm sure you might well be aware, it seems to me that there might be some confusion WRT the intent of my replies.

Bless your heart.

LWW

Author: VeeEnn Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 57852 of 58724
Subject: Re: Bloodwork Results! Date: 4/22/2013 9:36 AM

Bless your heart.

There you go...

Read....and *recced*.... in the spirit of understanding and sympatico

Author: Volucris Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 57853 of 58724
Subject: Re: Bloodwork Results! Date: 4/22/2013 1:01 PM

.....depends on the size of the *pig* and how many wrestlers there are???

I'm not familiar with this particular adage....

Really? I thought everyone knew this adage.

I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it.

George Bernard Shaw

Author: VeeEnn Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 57854 of 58724
Subject: Re: Bloodwork Results! Date: 4/29/2013 9:00 AM
I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it.

Well, of course. I knew that, you big silly.

But if you're trying to categorise *me* as a pig....this might be the wrong forum.

FWIW, I don't take any particular pleasure in working hard attempting to dispel myths that should never be there (or believed) in the first place....got better things to do like reading blogs (Heads-Up Diana!!)

In addition....and in no way, shape or form ..... could a casual observer perceive me as a PIG. My height measures around 5'5"-5'6" and my weight comes in at around 128-132 lbs. Does this sound to you like a pig???

Maybe I should start a blog on Monday Mornings.....I'm sure I'd be the first ;)

Vivienne

Author: zoningfool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 57855 of 58724
Subject: Re: Bloodwork Results! Date: 4/29/2013 11:18 AM
Maybe I should start a blog...

Time to fess up, Viv--you already have one:

http://tinyurl.com/cp9xzvg

Author: ishtarastarte Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 57856 of 58724
Subject: Re: Bloodwork Results! Date: 4/29/2013 11:55 AM
Recommendations: 5
FWIW, I don't take any particular pleasure in working hard attempting to dispel myths that should never be there (or believed) in the first place....got better things to do

Then why do you feel like it's your job to do it?

You can't let people think for themselves? And yes, even if they are wrong.

Ishtar

Author: concordiadiscors Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 57857 of 58724
Subject: Re: Bloodwork Results! Date: 4/29/2013 3:52 PM
Recommendations: 9
In addition....and in no way, shape or form ..... could a casual observer perceive me as a PIG. My height measures around 5'5"-5'6" and my weight comes in at around 128-132 lbs. Does this sound to you like a pig???

Pork is a lot leaner than it used to be, now that you mention it.

Author: VeeEnn Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 57858 of 58724
Subject: Re: Bloodwork Results! Date: 4/30/2013 9:44 AM
Time to fess up, Viv--you already have one:

http://tinyurl.com/cp9xzvg

See how popular a blog like this might be?

Let me not bother, TYVM

Author: VeeEnn Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 57859 of 58724
Subject: Re: Bloodwork Results! Date: 4/30/2013 9:57 AM
Then why do you feel like it's your job to do it?

You can't let people think for themselves? And yes, even if they are wrong

Well, in reality, that's exactly what I try to do.....as in the "Give a Man a fish...."

I don't recall any time that I've ever suggested that anyone reading my posts should *do THIS on pain of death* or whatever. I abso-TOOT-ly believe that folk should make their own decisions based on information that's important to them. Thing is, though....that there really are folk out there who would like to make their decisions based on accurate information. They don't want to waste time on "wrong" advice.

On these internet boards anyone is free to ignore any information tht they read about, right?? So, if I happen to post that say *a pound of muscle DOESN'T burn 50 Calories at rest* any reader can take the notion for what it's worth. Or, say, *dieting* put you into starvation mode and you won't lose any weight...or exercise doesn't work....or any of the other myths out there.

I'm not looking for any converts to rational information (which isn't the same as *my* personal beliefs, BTW) I'm just providing whatever I can as it crosses my path.

I have one of those off-the-wall ideas that there might be some folk accessing this board for the first time who might actually be looking for information that'll help them fight fat successfully as opposd to having it become an ongoing comfortable project.

Author: VeeEnn Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 57860 of 58724
Subject: Re: Bloodwork Results! Date: 4/30/2013 10:12 AM
Pork is a lot leaner than it used to be, now that you mention it.

I wouldn't know about that.

How fat a pig is depends upon what it eats in respect to its energy expenditure. Is this what you're saying?

Author: concordiadiscors Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 57861 of 58724
Subject: Re: Bloodwork Results! Date: 4/30/2013 11:24 AM
Recommendations: 7
I wouldn't know about that.

How fat a pig is depends upon what it eats in respect to its energy expenditure. Is this what you're saying?

1) Volucris, in response to you, referenced the Shaw quote about wrestling with pigs.

2) In response to Volucris, you appeared to misunderstand the metaphorical nature of Shaw's observation, which led you to assert that no one could possibly mistake you for a pig, since you are quite slim (i.e. lean).

3) My response to you, regarding the leanness of pork, draws from the fact that over the last few decades industrial pork production has moved from breeding fat pigs (for lard) to breeding much leaner pigs (in response to consumer demand for less-fatty meat). Since pigs are, in fact, leaner than they once were, my response is intended to challenge your assertion that no one could mistake you for a pig based on your slimness. Some might have thought it was a joke.

In sum: No, I wasn't being literal about porcine caloric intake and expenditure.

Author: VeeEnn Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 57862 of 58724
Subject: Re: Bloodwork Results! Date: 4/30/2013 1:01 PM
1) Volucris, in response to you, referenced the Shaw quote about wrestling with pigs.

2) In response to Volucris, you appeared to misunderstand the metaphorical nature of Shaw's observation, which led you to assert that no one could possibly mistake you for a pig, since you are quite slim (i.e. lean).

3) My response to you, regarding the leanness of pork, draws from the fact that over the last few decades industrial pork production has moved from breeding fat pigs (for lard) to breeding much leaner pigs (in response to consumer demand for less-fatty meat). Since pigs are, in fact, leaner than they once were, my response is intended to challenge your assertion that no one could mistake you for a pig based on your slimness. Some might have thought it was a joke.

In sum: No, I wasn't being literal about porcine caloric intake and expenditure.

I'm tremendously confident that this will help the Fools who're trying to fight fat successfully achieve their goals in some way...

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (56) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement