UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: thehendrys Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 75525  
Subject: Bloomberg book section on Roth Date: 7/23/2000 11:48 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Forgive me if this is a trival question...

I have been reading a book called "Smart Questions" from the Bloomberg bookshelf. Question #12 in the book
deals with the Roth IRA, and I read something that struck me as strange.

It reads...

You can withdraw the amounts you've contributed to a Roth IRA at any time, regardless of your age, without paying any penalty or taxes on the money.

This says (I think) that I can touch my contributions but not my gains, but I didn't think I could touch my contributions either.

Is this true? I can withdraw my contributions at any time?

If I contribute 2K for 10 years, then I can withdraw up to 20K from my Roth IRA in 10 years without penalties?

Thanks for the answers. (Sorry if it's a dumb question).

the hendrys

Print the post Back To Top
Author: thehendrys Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 23574 of 75525
Subject: Re: Bloomberg book section on Roth Date: 7/23/2000 11:52 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Sorry for the screwed up Italics...

Forgive me if this is a trival question...

I have been reading a book called "Smart Questions" from the Bloomberg bookshelf. Question #12 in the book deals with the Roth IRA, and I read something that struck me as strange.

It reads...

You can withdraw the amounts you've contributed to a Roth IRA at any time, regardless of your age, without paying any penalty or taxes on the money.

This says (I think) that I can touch my contributions but not my gains, but I didn't think I could touch my contributions either.

If I contribute 2K for 10 years, then I can withdraw up to 20K from my Roth IRA in 10 years without penalties?

Thanks for the answers. (Sorry if it's a dumb question).

the hendrys

Author: Mark0Young Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 23575 of 75525
Subject: Re: Bloomberg book section on Roth Date: 7/24/2000 12:01 AM

Yes.

http://www.fool.com/money/allaboutiras/allaboutiras06.htm includes this tidbit:

But, under the Roth IRA rules, and unlike the rules for a regular IRA, you CAN remove you principal contributions without tax or penalty. But note that I said "contributions."

Author: TMFPixy Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 23579 of 75525
Subject: Re: Bloomberg book section on Roth Date: 7/24/2000 6:55 AM
The Hendrys ask:

<<Is this true? I can withdraw my contributions at any time?>>

Yes, your annual contribution money may be taken from a Roth at any time for any reason free of taxes and penalty. Unlike a traditional IRA where any withdrawal is always composed of a fully or partially taxable amount regardless of whether you have made after-tax contributions or not, in a Roth the after-tax contribution money is always considered the first money out of the IRA. Precedence for withdrawal in a Roth from first money out to last is:

a. Annual contributions.

b. Conversion contributions from first to be converted to last to be converted.

c. Earnings.

You should note that conversion money must stay in the Roth for five tax-years to avoid a 10% early withdrawal penalty. Earnings normally can't be taken until age 59 1/2 AND after five tax-years have passed, but there are some exceptions to that which are explained in out IRA area at http://www.fool.com/money/allaboutiras/allaboutiras.htm.

Regards..Pixy

Author: drippinfool Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 23585 of 75525
Subject: Re: Bloomberg book section on Roth Date: 7/24/2000 9:24 AM
Pixy,

Is there any minimum waiting period to withdraw penalty free from a Roth IRA contributions recharacterized from a traditional IRA? Thanks.
-Chester :)

Author: TMFPixy Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 23587 of 75525
Subject: Re: Bloomberg book section on Roth Date: 7/24/2000 9:34 AM
Chester asks:

<<Is there any minimum waiting period to withdraw penalty free from a Roth IRA contributions recharacterized from a traditional IRA? >>

I assume you're using "recharacterize" to mean a regular annual contribution to a traditional IRA that has been changed to be an annual contribution to a Roth IRA. If so, then there is no waiting period.

OTOH, if you're talking about money that you converted from a traditonal IRA to a Roth (i.e., money deposited in previous years), then that money must remain in the Roth for five tax-years before withdrawal or it will be assessed a 10% early withdrawal penalty.

Regards..Pixy

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement