No. of Recommendations: 1
I don't for a minute think that there was some sort of conspiracy to cook the books in favor of Obama as it pertains to the unemployment number. I just think it was lousy timing for all parties.

I DO think the number is completely bogus.

The BLS survey showed an increase of 873,000 jobs in just a single month. That is the largest increase in nine years. It strains credulity regardless of who is in office.

What could possibly account for the largest increase in jobs in nearly a decade with all the tailwinds employers face these days?

http://www.bls.gov/news.release/pdf/empsit.pdf

Total employment rose by 873,000 in September, following 3 months of little change. The
employment-population ratio increased by 0.4 percentage point to 58.7 percent, after edging down in
the prior 2 months. The overall trend in the employment-population ratio for this year has been flat. The
civilian labor force rose by 418,000 to 155.1 million in September, while the labor force participation
rate was little changed at 63.6 percent. (See table A-1.)

The number of persons employed part time for economic reasons (sometimes referred to as
involuntary part-time workers) rose from 8.0 million in August to 8.6 million in September. These
individuals were working part time because their hours had been cut back or because they were unable
to find a full-time job. (See table A-8.)

-------------

Now maybe that 873,000 is due mostly to the extra 600,000 in part-time workers; I don't know. Regardless, I see this number being revised in Novemember - prior to the election.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement