UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (11) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: FuskieFool Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Ticker Guide SC1 Red Winner of the 2010 Rule Breakers Challenge Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 373  
Subject: Bluetooth Date: 5/4/2003 1:55 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
The Wireless buyers guide seems a little bit outdated, but I wanted to post a query here and get some feedback.

I am the last in my family to get a cell phone, and really have to reach to justify the need and expense. I am looking at purchasing a Palm Tungsten T which is bluetooth enabled. I figure I will need a bluetooth enabled cell phone to talk with the Palm Pilot. I live alone and have very little long distance needs nor do I put enough hours on my land line to warrent a high minute call plan. I also do not travel much, except as listed below.

So what I need is a low minute, internet-ready, bluetooth enabled cell phone and calling plan that will cover Atlanta, Lake Lanier (north GA), DaFauskie Island (Hilton Head), and Disney World (Spring Training).

Any ideas? Do I look for the phone first and then select a provider? Do I look for a provider and then select a phone?
Print the post Back To Top
Author: BizKiffer Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 344 of 373
Subject: Re: Bluetooth Date: 5/4/2003 5:45 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
If you want a bluetooth enabled phone, which sounds logical, then I would first look for the phone. My suggestion would be the Siemens S57 (?) or, if you cannot find that, the SonyEricsson T68i.

I don't know if there are CDMA bluetooth phones I have to admit.

Oliver aka BizKiffer

Author: reikiman Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 345 of 373
Subject: Re: Bluetooth Date: 5/4/2003 1:27 PM
I don't know the answer ... but have a question to help clarify your question, along with a snippet of information.

First, what I've seen of "internet-enabled" cell phones is that the screen is to f'ing small to be useful as a web browser. So why bother with a cell phone that does Internet access (you're going to be so limited)? On the other hand many of the new cell phones can act as a "modem" letting a laptop computer connect to the Internet through the cell phone, and it's even better than the 14.4kbps disaster of previous generations of cell phones (the speed is claimed to be more reasonable nowadays).

By "internet-ready" have you considered this? Are you wanting to use the cell phone as a "modem" on a laptop?

The snippet of information - Sprint PCS offers some phones that can be used this way, but their user agreement specifically prohibits you using the phone as a modem for a laptop. The idiots ... To make something that could be useful for real internet use, but then prohibit people from doing it.

- David

Author: FuskieFool Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Ticker Guide SC1 Red Winner of the 2010 Rule Breakers Challenge Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 346 of 373
Subject: Re: Bluetooth Date: 5/4/2003 2:04 PM
AT&T has the T68i. The Bluetooth website lists a S55. Is that the one?

Author: FuskieFool Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Ticker Guide SC1 Red Winner of the 2010 Rule Breakers Challenge Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 347 of 373
Subject: Re: Bluetooth Date: 5/4/2003 2:10 PM
what I've seen of "internet-enabled" cell phones is that the screen is to f'ing small to be useful as a web browser.

You are absolutely right. My intention is to get a Palm Tungsten T, which is a bluetooth enabled palm pilot. I have an opportunity to get it a good discount. The palm not only has a better window, but more advanced software for on-line interaction. I can also purchase a Bluetooth PCMCIA card to connect my laptop (phase II project, <grin>).

Ultimately, I expect to use it a for voice and data. What the ratio would be I don't really know since I have never had either before.

Author: BizKiffer Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 348 of 373
Subject: Re: Bluetooth Date: 5/4/2003 5:02 PM
S55 is the tripple band GSM version. Very nice, I had that for testing. the S57 is the US version ... now it's late ... I can't figure out why there would need to be another US version if it's tripple band, but I would likely know with less beer in my stomach ... ;)

Oliver aka BizKiffer

Author: dreamdoc Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 349 of 373
Subject: Re: Bluetooth Date: 5/5/2003 6:16 PM
I have the t68i and love it. Although I haven't used the function, it can be used as a modem for the laptop, if you are on an Apple computer, it can be iSynched with no trouble. (I have done that!) The Bluetooth enabled headsets are a great feature and there is a software available now called the Sony Ericsson Clicker.

This very cool little program available at www.salling.com is scriptable and allows you to control your laptop and software. For example I can run my powerpoint presentation from my t68i. The computers connect with Bluetooth, a menu is published on the phone and it then works like a remote control. Also works with both Windows and Apple computers.

I love the phone, I guess the real question for you is which company offers it and what is their srvice area. The ophone is a tri-band phone which is particularly handy if you travel out of the country often.

Keep us posted as to your choice!

Julie
I love my gadgets! ;)

Author: dreamdoc Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 350 of 373
Subject: Re: Bluetooth Date: 5/5/2003 6:26 PM
One more thing.

You will need to choose a phone first. Bluetooth is very new, and most phones do not have it. That will make the phone a bit pricier already, unless you can find a deal.

I did a quick look and it seems t-mobile is not offering this phone, but At & T is! Check out this link

http://electronics.cnet.com/electronics/search/results/0,11546,0-20497514-1303-0,00.html?tag=st.co.7716980.aislebut-att-wireless.cnet_wireless&qt=attphones&smp=3&ds=1&do=1

Seems AT & T is having a special!

Good luck!

Julie

Author: FuskieFool Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Ticker Guide SC1 Red Winner of the 2010 Rule Breakers Challenge Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 351 of 373
Subject: Re: Bluetooth Date: 5/5/2003 10:47 PM
I saw the AT&T phone. Of course, you can purchase a phone separate from the plan - that is what the activation fee is for. But I am concerned about AT&T's coverage. Someone told me today that AT&T is really struggling as well.

Who is your T68i service with?

Author: dreamdoc Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 352 of 373
Subject: Re: Bluetooth Date: 5/6/2003 3:24 PM
I went with Cingular, mostly because they were near me and convenient. I had Sprint PCS with horrible coverage for my needs. I live in Los Angeles and there were drop outs about every 3rd or 4th call.

I've had no probs with Cingular, adn a friend took advantage of the AT & T deal and likes her service. I've heard no complaints from her. (And believe me, I'd hear about it! ;)

Julie

Author: FuskieFool Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Ticker Guide SC1 Red Winner of the 2010 Rule Breakers Challenge Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 353 of 373
Subject: Re: Bluetooth Date: 5/21/2003 6:33 PM
Are you still interested in selling your T68i? Is it already locked to AT&T or could I activate on T-Mobile?

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (11) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement