Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (30) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: GrandpaRalph Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 274  
Subject: Board Demographics Date: 6/23/2004 8:35 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 6
Hi all, and especially abbagirl, who started this board.

Quick Intro- I lost my wife to pancreatic cancer a little over 3 months ago. She was only 53, I am 55. I am left with "finishing" the raising of two teenage daughters and caring for a 30 year old mentally impaired son. Also have a 31-year-old daughter who lives FAR away, but visits occasionally, bringing her husband and our two grandchildren. (Do we ever stop saying "we, our, us,..."?) Like several of you, I also live on a chunk of land, 6 acres, and am finding the "work" a bit overwhelming, now that I am doing laundry, housecleaning, cooking, etc. Luckily, I retired early a few years ago, and therefore only end up working about 10 hours a day.

Anyway, after reading every post here, I sorted by poster, and tried to figure out each poster's sex and marital status. Could be wrong, but I have joycets, lbl627, pauleckler and rychil as not widowed.

All of the rest of the folks (abbagirl, follydolly, ibnana, inlivingcolor, mrs4stardave, rainydaywoman, richlene, rosepetal, scaryblondchic, and trini209) are females. Until me.

Although I have some very supportive friends, they haven't "been there". Also have one cyber-friend (female) from another Fool Board that was widowed in 2001, and we have been emailing fairly regularly since my wife was in her final months. She has been invaluable in sharing so many common experiences and feelings, and we have shared a lot of information that will never make it to a public board.

But I still would like to have an opportunity to share experiences and seek opinions with a larger group of people, and hope that maybe we can help each other.

Ralph (Not really sure if a male presence will help the board get re-started or not, but giving it a shot.)

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (30) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

2.1: The Labor Pool Problem
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement