UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (11) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: Bottles Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 308517  
Subject: Re: Credit Report Dings? Date: 4/8/1998 10:48 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Bob,

The 'pre screening' should not make any difference on your mortgage application at all. There are a few posts the past few days on how to deal with those by writing the credit Reporting companites and requesting your account not to allow to be pre-screened. I would recommend you look through those posts on this board as well.

As for cleaning up your account there are a number of books in various book stores that I have seen in their personal finance sections, usually titled 'Credit Repair'. A number of them have a good candadite list of 'Form' letters to send to the credit reporting agencies to dispute any late payments that you feel are disputable. They give you a good idea on what to write and how to deal with the reporting compaines. This might get a little lengtly since your shooting letters (snail mail) back and forth and waiting for responses. I would start this as soon as possible and have it all resolved before you even apply for you mortgage if at all possible.

As for your mortgage, it depends on your lenders requirements what you will need to do. Typically, I have seen where you have to provide in a written statement as to any late payments as well as organizations looking into your credit report recently. These are full inquiries not the 'pre-screens' as mentioned above. What the Lender is interested in is making sure you did not apply for a 25K line of credit at the same time you applied for a mortgage or something like that, that would not show up as a real account yet on your report. That is by getting written statements from recent credit inquiries to your credit history.

I also agree with pwyles, Close as many of the old accounts as you can and review the report before to verify that it is marked "Closed at consumers request".

Congratulations on Getting out of CC Debt!! And Good Luck with the House.

Rob

Bottles
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (11) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

TMF Credit Center
The Motley Fool Credit Center arms you with real tools and simple messages, that will help you in every credit situation.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

U.S. Stable, Europe Stalling
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement