Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (47) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: voelkels Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 259  
Subject: Re: Pressure/Canning Cooker Date: 5/30/2011 8:15 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
“Bob, why not use your 8-quart pressure cooker to process/can your Bread & Butter pickles, huuuggh? 4 pint jars should easily fit in the cooker with room to spare.”

I can use the 8-qt pressure cooker to can, using the boiling water method, but I cannot, safely, use it to can under pressure, with its 15 lb (only), pressure regulator in place - too much pressure, unless I use the "steam" setting on the pressure regulator - The effectiveness of using steam to can is, somewhat, controversial - The USDA hasn't, yet, acknowledge its effectiveness in killing certain types of (heat resilient) bacteria

Axe-u-lee, you can. That is where dats Ball Blue Book and a bit of knowledge of thermodynamics & steam tables bes handy. Now den, since I don’t know where DW done hid my Blue Book, I gotta do dis by memory (when you gits my age, memory bes da third ting dat goes). If I members rightly, my moma’s Presto pressure cooker had a pressure regulator dat had tree rings on it, one fur 5 PSI, da second at 10-PSI and da third (and final) at 15-PSI. Iffen you filled (axe-u-lee bout half or 2/3 ) it wid water (or udder liquids) got it berling and put on da top & pressure regulator, over time da regulator would indicate, by da rings, da pressure inside. When it got up to 15-PSIA inside it would vent da excess pressure and show tree rings on da regulator. If you know the pressure inside the cooker, you know the internal temperature (See; http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/boiling-point-water-d_926.... ).

What I would do is to heat the jars as per the boiling water method in the pressure cooker, put on the regulator and allow the pressure to come up to say around 5-psi (1 ring), shut off the heat and watch the pressure & time. As long as the time is not less than 5 minutes of the amount of time needed to process it by the boiling water method for the pressure to return to atmospheric, the food will be safe (you are axe-u-lee heating it to 228 degrees F, not 212 degrees F.) which will kill anything dat can live in a acid environment. Iffen you process at at higher pressure, da odds are dat it’ll be safer (but may come out mush).
;-(

My basic “Cold Water Pickle” recipe is;

Cold Water Pickles

Make up a brine consisting of ;
8 cups cool water
2 cups cider vinegar
A scant 2/3 cup of kosher salt

Wash but do not soak cucumbers, dry and slice/cut into shape desired and pack into quart jars along with a few sprigs of dill, 4 to 8 cloves of garlic a few bay leaves, a tablespoon of mixed pickling spice and a chunk of alum about half the size of a pea. Fill jars with brine and allow to stand at room temperature for 3 to 6 days, depending upon temperature, until they just start to ferment. Put into refrigerator for another week or two and enjoy.

The basic recipe I found in a herb catalog in 1974 or 73 and have been using it ever since. About half the brine recipe is enough for 4 or 3 quarts of pickles. Usually, by the time that my cucumbers are producing best, the dill has bolted, seeded and died. In order to make pickles, I’ll pick the dill and preserve it in vinegar to use (the vinegar) for pickling.
;-)

C.J.V. - da USDA bes extra conservative, IMHO, me
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (47) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Mobileye's Growth too Hot?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement