UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: JAFO31 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 75611  
Subject: Re: To Roth, or not to Roth..! Date: 12/27/1999 5:29 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Bob78164:

<<<<JAFO31 writes (in part):

Unless Congress changes the rules WRT to Roth IRAs between now and then. TMFPixy and I have disagreed about the most likely shape of the changes, but, among the several choices, I can easily envision Roth IRAs being taxed just non-deductible regular IRAs if a future Congress is hungry for revenue.>>>>

[Bob replies:]

I've chimed in on this debate in the past as well. I haven't done the research, but I suspect that if Congress wanted to go this route, it would be forced by the Due Process Clause to "grandfather" in tax-free treatment for funds that are already in Roth IRAs. In that event, of course, it might as well simply eliminate future contributions to the Roth IRA.

I am aware that Congress can constitutionally pass laws that are retroactive in effect, but that authority is not unlimited. --Bob"

I am no consitutional law expert by any means, but I am not certain that the rule against retroactivity would require "grandfathering," (although "grandfathering" would certainly be one of the intermediate possibilities). The only change would be to change the defintion of current income to include any current distribution from a Roth IRA that was not previously taxed and to allocate distributions between taxed contributions and untaxed earnings; it would not go back and tax and prior withdrawals.

For example, consider the 1986 tax law changes and the the passive loss rules for how a current change can wreak havoc on current taxes for choices that were made in prior years under different rules.

Again, I do not wish to be perceived as the bearer of only doom and gloom, but I do think that the rose colored glasses should not be worn either.

Just my $0.02. Regards, JAFO
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Ubiquiti Analysis
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement