Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
BobStL writes (in part):

Since you filed jointly for tax year 1998, you could use one-half of the "joint" tax liability for last year to figure your 1999 safe harbor amount. (This part is where I'm looking for some "confirmation" from others - it can get complex due to the divorce.)

I reply:

Actually, it's not that simple. I wondered about this question myself two or three months ago, and posted the question (purely from academic curiosity). Roy's response (if I recall correctly) is that in order to take advantage of the safe harbor amount, you must figure out how much of your joint tax liability was due to your income and deductions, and how much was due to your wife's. If you live in a community property state, I'm not sure how the calculation is affected, but either way, if you plan to rely on this safe harbor, you might want to talk to a tax advisor. You should have one review the divorce papers before they go final in any event. --Bob
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.