Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: dianakalt Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 58666  
Subject: Body Fat Scales?? Date: 5/29/2000 4:15 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Hey all,
One of my friends has a bathroom scale that also will measure your body fat. I used it when I visited her a few weeks ago, and I have thought about purchasing one. Does anyone know of a good source for purchasing one and/or how much they typically cost?

thanks
d
Print the post Back To Top
Author: TMFSynchronicity Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 6194 of 58666
Subject: Re: Body Fat Scales?? Date: 5/29/2000 4:39 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
One of my friends has a bathroom scale that also will measure your body fat. I used it when I visited her a few weeks ago, and I have thought about purchasing one. Does anyone know of a good source for purchasing one and/or how much they typically cost?

Hi diana!

I have a similar scale (maybe the same type?). It is made by Tanita. My scale cost about $80, but with a little searching you can probably get one cheaper. I bought mine online thru a www.topixonline.com , which is similar to a "Sharper Image" in that they have a lot of gadgets (although unlike Sharper Image, many of thier gadgets are actually useful). As I said, with a little comparison shopping you might find it cheaper.

The scale measures body fat by eletricalimpedance (sends a little electric charge through your body. Muscle conducts well, fat doesn't). The charge is very slight (I can't feel it), but you can't use the scale if you have a pacemaker or similar device. The fat measurement is very sensitive to your hydration level, so try and weigh yourself about the same time every day (or week or whatever, especially if you have a set "routine". I weigh myself daily after work. On weeekends the readings are a little off because my routine is different.

A word of warning: the body fat meaurement is probably not perfect. I use the scale to watch the overall trend and insure that I am losing predominantly fat rather than lean muscle mass.

You'll see posts from me once a week with updated fat and weight averages, as well as some commentary. The scale has been a useful motivational and informational tool, so far (still have a ways to go).

Best of luck. My advice towards weight loss: take baby steps at first (slight diet changes, small exercise, whatever), just make sure to keep going forward. Soon little changes become big changes, and you find you've made a lot of progress.

-synchronicity

Author: TMF2Aruba Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 6202 of 58666
Subject: Re: Body Fat Scales?? Date: 5/29/2000 5:40 PM
The scale measures body fat by eletricalimpe dance

Hey Syncronicity.....is that anything like a Happy Dance?

; )

Tony
...but I still am...

Off2Aruba

Author: timsah Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 6260 of 58666
Subject: Re: Body Fat Scales?? Date: 5/30/2000 4:04 PM
I got mine at Linens and Things for about $75-80. It's neat and a good trending device, as a previous poster noted. It's not completely accurate but gives you a good idea of where you're at. Mine, however, seems to be broken as the numbers never go down.

timsah

Author: daoffer Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 6374 of 58666
Subject: Re: Body Fat Scales?? Date: 5/31/2000 5:31 PM
dianakalt >>Does anyone know of a good source for purchasing one and/or how much they typically cost?

Everyone else seems to have a Tanita scale but I have one from Omron. It's basically a hand held monitor. It doesn't do weight. I like it because I can easily see it first thing in the morning before I put my contacts in. I usually don't weigh myself until after breakfast when I've put my contacts on which is a bad time to check your body fat. I got mine online at Body Trends.

Debora

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement