Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (37) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: StickleyFan5 Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 58635  
Subject: Body for Life Date: 10/23/2000 12:27 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Hi everyone-

My best friend and his SO just started Body for Life. I've read the book once before, and have a friend who tried it in the past, so I thought I knew a little about this plan.

What I didn't realize -- must have forgotten this -- is that you get a "free day" to eat whatever you want. This apparently includes cookies, cakes, ice cream, pizza pie, anything.

I don't want a "free day" myself since I am doing this by counting calories and exercising. But I'm curious. What's the logic behind this? How could a "free day" somehow help you lose weight? I don't undertand how it would work. Calories are calories, right?

Kathleen
Print the post Back To Top
Author: settwin Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 11442 of 58635
Subject: Re: Body for Life Date: 10/23/2000 12:36 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I don't want a "free day" myself since I am doing this by counting calories and exercising. But I'm curious. What's the logic behind this? How could a "free day" somehow help you lose weight? I don't undertand how it would work. Calories are calories, right?

Purely speculation, but I think it is to satisfy psychological dimensions. It's the same as saying that no food is forbidden in moderation. They may be counting on your good habits to keep the free day from being insane. But it sounds like it would also be like a "planned indulgence". Like when you allow yourself ice cream on Saturdays so that when you want ice cream on Mon-Fri, you say to yourself, "No, I can wait until Saturday."

Molly
Fear my Psych 101!

Author: IngridB Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 11444 of 58635
Subject: Re: Body for Life Date: 10/23/2000 12:52 PM

According to the body for life website, they say it's to convince your body that it's not starving, so it knows that it's okay to lose weight (how's that for a non-technical rephrase of a non-technical article?).

I understand that BFL includes significant exercise, including building your muscles. These efforts should make the diet less important, since muscles burn more calories than fat when resting, and much more when working out. I've certainly found it to be true for myself, now that I'm working out a lot, I can cheat more on my diet and still not notice it in my weight (a bad thing for me, psychologically, since I like the deterrence factor of knowing I CAN'T cheat without gaining weight).

I'm sure the psychological factor Molly mentioned is also important. It reminds me of a diet I heard about one time. Eat as much as you want of whatever you want. The idea was that after a week or two of eating nothing but chocolate, your body would crave nutritious food. Plus, allowing yourself to eat it removes all of the baggage about it being "forbidden". I was so tempted to try it, because I know that when I have sweets, I always overdo it, in part because of the guilt. However, I don't think I'd ever get tired of overdoing it. Besides, there have been times in my life when I was exercising enough that I should've lost weight (I wasn't more than chubby at the time), so I compensated by eating WAY too much chocolate, and maintaining my chubbiness. Interesting idea though.

Ingrid

Author: StickleyFan5 Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 11452 of 58635
Subject: Re: Body for Life Date: 10/23/2000 2:03 PM
Thanks Ingrid and Molly!

I was really dumbfounded to hear my dieting friends were eating eclairs and pizza. Your ideas make sense. And now I won't worry about my friends.

Kathleen

Author: settwin Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 11454 of 58635
Subject: Re: Body for Life Date: 10/23/2000 2:27 PM
Eat as much as you want of whatever you want. The idea was that after a week or two of eating nothing but chocolate, your body would crave nutritious food. Plus, allowing yourself to eat it removes all of the baggage about it being "forbidden". I was so tempted to try it, because I know that when I have sweets, I always overdo it, in part because of the guilt.

I may start craving nutritious foods, but that won't stop the sugar!

Molly
Tub of frosting, here I come!

Author: tori26 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 11455 of 58635
Subject: Re: Body for Life Date: 10/23/2000 2:47 PM
Tub of frosting, here I come!

now hold on here a minute Molly.... you're going to suck this down and then do that interval training with me.....

Linda

knowing what an insidious beast sugar and white flour can be......

Author: settwin Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 11456 of 58635
Subject: Re: Body for Life Date: 10/23/2000 2:54 PM
now hold on here a minute Molly.... you're going to suck this down and then do that interval training with me.....

Linda

knowing what an insidious beast sugar and white flour can be......

Oh yeah!! That's why I'm not on that eating program! I was just thinking back to when I was 8 and I would visit my dad's made-from-scratch bakery. There would be a big tub of about 150# of frosting. If I were on a diet where I could eat anything I want, I would've been standing there with a spoon. I know all about the sugar beast :)

Molly
P.S. Linda, I'll try out the interval training while walking my dog tonight.

Author: tori26 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 11457 of 58635
Subject: Re: Body for Life Date: 10/23/2000 3:00 PM
Hey Molly,

There would be a big tub of about 150# of frosting. If I were on a
diet where I could eat anything I want, I would've been standing there with a spoon.

I'd have been the kid next to you dipping my spoon in too! That was the stuff dreams were made of.... huge vat of frosting....

Linda

Author: StickleyFan5 Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 11458 of 58635
Subject: Re: Body for Life Date: 10/23/2000 3:18 PM
That was the stuff dreams were made of.... huge vat of frosting....

Count me in!

Yum yum yum!

Kathleen

Author: tori26 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 11459 of 58635
Subject: Re: Body for Life Date: 10/23/2000 3:38 PM
Recommendations: 2
That was the stuff dreams were made of.... huge vat of frosting....

Count me in!

Yum yum yum!

Okay then, three of us standing around that giant vat of frosting at Molly's Dads bakery with HUGE spoons dipping into the frosting....

What a picture!

Linda
LOL LOL, Thank goodness visualization can't make us heavier....!

Author: IngridB Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 11469 of 58635
Subject: Re: Body for Life Date: 10/23/2000 4:44 PM
Okay then, three of us standing around that giant vat of frosting at Molly's Dads bakery with HUGE spoons dipping into the frosting....

Hey waitaminute! Is there enough for a fourth? Hmmmm 150#? Maybe just barely. Glad I didn't get here any later.

Ingrid

Author: Windowseat Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 11479 of 58635
Subject: Re: Body for Life Date: 10/23/2000 6:54 PM
Hey waitaminute! Is there enough for a fourth? Hmmmm 150#? Maybe just barely. Glad I didn't get here any later.

And I have visions of Molly's Dad coming in and swatting all of you!

But it DOES sound delicious.

MMMMMM.

Nancy

Author: tori26 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 11481 of 58635
Subject: Re: Body for Life Date: 10/23/2000 7:14 PM
Hey waitaminute! Is there enough for a fourth? Hmmmm 150#? Maybe just barely.
Glad I didn't get here any later.

always room for another Ingrid... just grab a spoon!

Linda

Author: tori26 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 11489 of 58635
Subject: Re: Body for Life Date: 10/23/2000 7:44 PM

But it DOES sound delicious.

MMMMMM.

Nancy

c'mon in Nancy, the frostings fine!

Hey Molly got another spoon????

Linda :-)

Author: TDMENEUF Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 11491 of 58635
Subject: Re: Body for Life Date: 10/23/2000 7:46 PM

And in walks Mommy, "GET AWAY FROM THAT VAT!"

As the three little children scatter in fear, Mommy pulls the BIG spoon from behind her back and starts giggling.

Deannda
Kids, sheesh, they scare so easily

Author: tori26 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 11498 of 58635
Subject: Re: Body for Life Date: 10/23/2000 7:57 PM
Mommy pulls the BIG spoon from behind
her back and starts giggling.

Hey Molly, Kathleen, Ingrid, Nancy, LOOK! Board Mommy is joining us at the Frosting vat!

Linda ;-)

Author: wifeswink Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 11503 of 58635
Subject: Re: Body for Life Date: 10/23/2000 9:43 PM
Well, frosting discussions aside. . .

Yes, the Body for Life "free day" is based on the 1) psychological aspect that nothing is absolutely forbidden, and 2) the physiological aspect that one day of overeating will convince your body that it's not starving to death. If the body thinks it's starving, it will hold on to all the fat it can in order to survive the "famine."

Speaking from personal experience (last week, my first as a BFLer), I rather enjoyed the free day, yet I was extremely surprised by how much I wasn't able to eat. I had planned a big lunch, big dinner, etc., but just wansn't able to pack it in as per usual. Guess the whole theory about your stomach shrinking with less food in it may actually be true? Or maybe it was just "well, I can have this next week, too" which prevented any particular need for more.

wifeswink

Author: settwin Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 11511 of 58635
Subject: Re: Body for Life Date: 10/24/2000 8:07 AM

Nah! He was a sucker for girls :)

Besides, you wouldn't believe what it takes to really make a dent in that frosting.

Molly

Author: settwin Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 11512 of 58635
Subject: Re: Body for Life Date: 10/24/2000 8:12 AM
c'mon in Nancy, the frostings fine!

Hey Molly got another spoon????

No time to pause for spoon!

Talk about finger-licking good :)

Molly

Author: wallstar Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 11548 of 58635
Subject: Re: Body for Life Date: 10/25/2000 12:10 AM
There would be a big tub of about 150# of frosting. If I were on a
diet where I could eat anything I want, I would've been standing there with a spoon.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I'd have been the kid next to you dipping my spoon in too! That was the stuff dreams were made of.... huge vat of frosting

Excuse me for interrupting your frosting orgy. I like frosting, but it has to be good, and preferably on a fairly decent cake. Most frosting, nearly all, is just sugar, too much sugar, nothing good about it. And most cake has no redeeming social significance.

Carrot cake is one of the best, it always has a nice flavor and good texture, and usually has an excellent frosting. Chocolate cake with chocolate frosting is hard to do wrong.

I don't bother tasting white, yellow, or red cake because they are never worth tasting. And if they are store bought, that means they are made with that dreadful frosting that tastes like sweet soap.

You can't just freak out on generic frosting, it has to be GOOD, and you don't get that very often.

Author: wallstar Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 11549 of 58635
Subject: Re: Body for Life Date: 10/25/2000 12:40 AM

Well, let's see. How should I explain this? No. I think that explains it very clearly.

Here's an experiment you can do at home. Get two cute little animals, hamsters or something. Give them both all the water they care to drink. Feed one whole wheat bread, and give the other an equal amount of white bread. I said to get "cute" animals so you would get very concerned when one of them is not cute any more, a week or two later, and stop the experiment. Which one do you think will get sick? They both had the same calories, so what makes the difference?

Your body needs about forty different nutrients to survive. Some of these register as calories, but they each have different functions to perform. If you don't eat enough of a nutrient it can have dramatic effects on your life and might make you desire to eat strange things.

Several of those nutrients are oils. Oil, or any kind of fat, slows digestion. If you don't eat enough oil your body will absorb whatever food it gets right away and you will feel very hungry again. If you eat enough oil or fat for breakfast digestion is slowed and you feel much more alert all day, with no hunger. So fat can actually be an ally in your war against fat.

If you don't eat enough protein you get a craving for sugar. Oddly, when this happens the thought of eating protein foods has no appeal to you: you only want sweets.

After a week of eating a decent diet you won't really want the sort of junk you used to eat. The BFL diet simply takes the pressure off by restricting nothing. Nothing is forbidden, so there is nothing to fixate on. If you still crave (whatever), you can have it, but you have to wait for your free day. Be good for six days, then reward yourself with anything you want -- except the longer you follow the diet, the less you want to pig out. You might say the diet grows on you.

-- Wallstar
"Bouncy ball is the source of all goodness and light" - Catfucious

Author: tori26 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 11555 of 58635
Subject: Re: Body for Life Date: 10/25/2000 6:28 AM
Carrot cake is one of the best, it always has a nice flavor and good texture, and
usually has an excellent frosting. Chocolate cake with chocolate frosting is hard to
do wrong.

LOL LOL LOL!
Have to agree with you on the Cream Cheese Frosting made for Carrot Cake...

Linda
- wiping the frosting off her nose.... :-)

Author: settwin Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 11560 of 58635
Subject: Re: Body for Life Date: 10/25/2000 8:21 AM
You can't just freak out on generic frosting, it has to be GOOD, and you don't get that very often.

Specifically, we are discussing the made-from-scratch frosting at my father's bakery. I ASSURE you that it was VERY GOOD!

Molly

Author: coxam Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 11566 of 58635
Subject: Re: Body for Life Date: 10/25/2000 9:38 AM
If you don't eat enough protein you get a craving for sugar. Oddly, when this happens the thought of eating protein foods has no appeal to you: you only want sweets.
================

I did not know this! I've been craving sweets for no particular reason. I've also been giving into them too much :( I knew I wasn't really eating enough protein recently, but never connected that to my desire for sweets. Thanks!

Anna

Author: daoffer Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 11596 of 58635
Subject: Re: Body for Life Date: 10/25/2000 2:16 PM
wallstar >>If you don't eat enough protein you get a craving for sugar. Oddly, when this happens the thought of eating protein foods has no appeal to you: you only want sweets.

I've never heard of that one before. Where did you find out about it? I'd like to read up on it.

Debora

Author: wallstar Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 11602 of 58635
Subject: Re: Body for Life Date: 10/25/2000 3:00 PM
I've never heard of that one before. Where did you find out about it? I'd like to read up on it.

"Let's Eat Right To Keep Fit" by Adele Davis. This book was published about 1957 and is still available on the racks at grocery stores. It is the best introduction to the field of nutrition. She wrote several other books too.

BTW, 1-2 tbsp of bran daily also helps in many ways. I always have bran in the house. I mix it with juice to get it in. Bran reduces food absorption by about 10% and sweeps loose bits of food through the pipes so they don't cause trouble. It also reduces "spider"veins in the legs, although nobody has any idea why.

Author: wallstar Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 11603 of 58635
Subject: Re: Body for Life Date: 10/25/2000 3:01 PM
Specifically, we are discussing the made-from-scratch frosting at my father's bakery. I ASSURE you that it was VERY GOOD!

Well, in that case, move over! Got an extra spoon?

Author: joannev50 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 11605 of 58635
Subject: Re: Body for Life Date: 10/25/2000 3:45 PM
<"Let's Eat Right To Keep Fit" by Adele Davis>

I remember many years ago a friend had recommended that I read this book. Not long after that I heard that Adele Davis had died from cancer, I can't remember exactly what type. And I thought to myself, all those years of proper eating and what good did it do for her. Now that I've gotten older I've since revised my thinking. Although genes play a very big role, good nutrition will always help.

Jo

Author: tori26 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 11606 of 58635
Subject: Re: Body for Life Date: 10/25/2000 4:06 PM
Well, in that case, move over! Got an extra spoon?

There is always room for another..... :-)

linda

Author: beccapooka Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 11607 of 58635
Subject: Re: Body for Life Date: 10/25/2000 4:13 PM
BTW, 1-2 tbsp of bran daily also helps in many ways. I always have bran in the house. I mix it with juice to get it in. Bran
reduces food absorption by about 10% and sweeps loose bits of food through the pipes so they don't cause trouble. It also
reduces "spider"veins in the legs, although nobody has any idea why.
-------

Do you mean like 100% bran cereal? (The twig looking things, not the flakes?) If not, what are you talking about??? I love bran cereal, and I try to get enough fiber in other ways, too. If there is something simple I am missing, please let me know.

Rebecca

Author: wallstar Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 11609 of 58635
Subject: Re: Body for Life Date: 10/25/2000 6:17 PM
Do you mean like 100% bran cereal? (The twig looking things, not the flakes?) If not, what are you talking about??? I love bran cereal, and I try to get enough fiber in other ways, too. If there is something simple I am missing, please let me know.

Yeah, that's it. And whole wheat bread. I use unprocessed bran, which is often in the grocery store next to the cereals, and sometimes sold in bulk for about $0.19 a pound. You can also get it at health food stores.

I use plain bran because it's so much cheaper than the cereal, and because I don't keep careful track of what I have eaten. Last summer I apparently went several weeks without eating any bread or veggies, and ended up in the ER with a severe belly ache. After $2000 of tests, the doc told me I had diverticulitis and to eat more veggies! Yessiree, I keep bran in the house all the time now. And WW bread too.

Author: beccapooka Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 11613 of 58635
Subject: Re: Body for Life Date: 10/25/2000 9:07 PM
Wallster,

Thanks for your reply.

I used to eat the bran cereal every day. Then I discoverd Kashi. Their cereal is also very high in fiber. And I do eat whole wheat bread, too. I eat a "lite" bread that is higher in fiber (5 grams per 2 slices) than most of those heavy whole grain breads that sometimes have just 1 gram per slice.

Also, you mentioned pasta earlier. Have you tried any of the whole wheat pastas? Some are very good. I do still eat white pasta, but I treat myself to the WW stuff when I can.

Rebecca

Author: wallstar Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 11620 of 58635
Subject: Re: Body for Life Date: 10/26/2000 2:07 AM
Also, you mentioned pasta earlier. Have you tried any of the whole wheat pastas? Some are very good. I do still eat white pasta, but I treat myself to the WW stuff when I can.

I've heard of that but never seen any. Of course, pasta is not one of the things I go looking for.

Wallstar
COFFEE: The powder of positive thinking.

I finally found my old tagline file. Too bad it's such a nuisance to add taglines to board messages.

Author: tori26 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 11621 of 58635
Subject: Re: Body for Life Date: 10/26/2000 6:15 AM
Rebecca,

BTW, 1-2 tbsp of bran daily also helps in many ways. I always have bran in the
house. I mix it with juice to get it in. Bran
reduces food absorption by about 10% and sweeps loose bits of food through the
pipes so they don't cause trouble. It also
reduces "spider"veins in the legs, although nobody has any idea why.
-------

Do you mean like 100% bran cereal? (The twig looking things, not the flakes?) If
not, what are you talking about??? I love bran cereal, and I try to get enough fiber
in other ways, too. If there is something simple I am missing, please let me know.

The Nutritionist at the local hospital came on "Health Day" to my workplace and gave us a talk about fiber. The latest, newest form of fiber is flax. Grind the seed up in a coffee grinder and add it to your foods. It is full of Omega 3 which we are suppose to all get lots of too!

Linda

Author: settwin Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 11622 of 58635
Subject: Re: Body for Life Date: 10/26/2000 9:19 AM
The Nutritionist at the local hospital came on "Health Day" to my workplace and gave us a talk about fiber. The latest, newest form of fiber is flax. Grind the seed up in a coffee grinder and add it to your foods. It is full of Omega 3 which we are suppose to all get lots of too!

I may have to go this route for the Omega-3 benefits. I got some flax seed oil, but I'm not very good at using it. This also has the fiber benefit.

Molly
Adding coffee grinder to Christmas list

Author: daoffer Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 11646 of 58635
Subject: Re: Body for Life Date: 10/26/2000 11:10 AM
<"Let's Eat Right To Keep Fit" by Adele Davis>

According to Amazon -

Let's Eat Right to Keep Fit

THIS TITLE IS CURRENTLY NOT AVAILABLE. The publisher is out of stock. If you would like to purchase this title, we recommend that you occasionally check this page to see if it's been reprinted.

Paperback Rev Updtd edition (August 1988)
New American Library; ISBN: 999279349X

The author's name is Adelle Davis. Do you have any idea how many A. Davis's were listed??? I'll keep an eye out for it at the library or used book store.

Debora
- computers are the worst spelling flamers -

Author: yeilBagheera Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 12235 of 58635
Subject: Re: Body for Life Date: 11/6/2000 11:48 PM
Debora:
According to Amazon -

Let's Eat Right to Keep Fit

THIS TITLE IS CURRENTLY NOT AVAILABLE.

the great used and new bookstore www.powells.com has a copy in stock

yeilB
who knows her library has copies and copies of Adelle's work

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (37) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement