UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (28) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: eatenbybears Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 1971850  
Subject: Boehner puts Democrats in a box Date: 1/18/2013 3:42 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
Boehner puts Democrats in a box

Now, in one graceful move, Boehner has set a calendar that gives the president and the Democrats plenty of ways to participate and also traps them into having to reveal their true intentions. First, we have the sequester deadline on March 1, 2013, then we have the expiration of our current budget, under the continuing resolution, on March 27th, and now the speaker has added the deadline of approximately April 15th (ironically, when taxpayers must send their hard-earned money to Washington) for a final showdown between sound budgeting or the president and the Democrats pushing America into default. Good for Boehner, good for Ryan and hats off to the House GOP leadership. Nothing comes easy, but at least now it appears the Democrats will be forced to act or face the consequences. Around April 15th, we might be on the road to ending spending in Washington as we know it.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-insiders/post/boehne...
Print the post Back To Top
Author: PeterRabit Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1853928 of 1971850
Subject: Re: Boehner puts Democrats in a box Date: 1/18/2013 3:45 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Sounds good to me.

Peter

Author: TheDope1 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1853933 of 1971850
Subject: Re: Boehner puts Democrats in a box Date: 1/18/2013 4:14 PM
They'll find a way to frack it up. Obama will demand a "clean" debt ceiling increase with no strings so that "America can pay its bills". He'll demagogue. PA left wingers will cheer.

At the end of the day spending won't go down, the democrats will claim "victory" and PA libs will spike the football. Meanwhile, America heads further down the path of fiscal disaster. But maybe that's the real goal and has been all along.

Author: PeterRabit Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1853947 of 1971850
Subject: Re: Boehner puts Democrats in a box Date: 1/18/2013 5:15 PM
TD1 But maybe that's the real goal and has been all along.

Yep. Liberals want to destroy America.

Peter

Author: TheDope1 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1853949 of 1971850
Subject: Re: Boehner puts Democrats in a box Date: 1/18/2013 5:21 PM
Recommendations: 1

When left wingers insist on passing a budget and demand that our entitlements get seriously reformed so that we have a hoot in hell of paying them, I'll grant the sarcasm in that sentence. Until then? Yes, they do.

Author: lowstudent Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1853951 of 1971850
Subject: Re: Boehner puts Democrats in a box Date: 1/18/2013 5:25 PM

Peter

Well certainly they do not plan on governing sanely.

As someone adroitly pointed out earlies. Two years without a Conservative in sight and the Dems could not admit to a budget to show their priorities

Now Dems and libs are up in arms that Conservatives are stopping them from passing a budget.

You can not come away with the thought this means they want to govern well. That based on the ground game is just absurd. So considering other options clearly makes sense.

Author: PeterRabit Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1853956 of 1971850
Subject: Re: Boehner puts Democrats in a box Date: 1/18/2013 6:08 PM
demand that our entitlements get seriously reformed so that we have a hoot in hell of paying them,

What happens to the country if pay we pay less than 100% of the entitlements?

Many people will be uncomfortable. It does not threaten the solvency or viability of the United States.

Us libs are going to have to do better than that to destroy the US.

Peter

Author: TheDope1 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1853958 of 1971850
Subject: Re: Boehner puts Democrats in a box Date: 1/18/2013 6:10 PM
What happens to the country if pay we pay less than 100% of the entitlements?

Many people will be uncomfortable. It does not threaten the solvency or viability of the United States.

Us libs are going to have to do better than that to destroy the US.

Methinks you haven't thought this through. The democrat party does not believe we have a spending problem. At all. Their mission is to not only pay 100% of the entitlements, but to create and pay *more*.

So yes. Fiscally, one can argue that liberals are out to destroy America.

Author: lowstudent Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1853959 of 1971850
Subject: Re: Boehner puts Democrats in a box Date: 1/18/2013 6:11 PM

Peter

You know this one just bothered me

Are you really sure?

President Obama is honestly making the case repeatedly that he will not reward Republicans for their intransigence over the budget.

Reward?

Reward?

Seriously reward?

He is saying that the Republicans will consider it a reward to cut back on government spending? That is a reward?

If that is honestly what anyone believes that it is a reward to stop spending as much, then he is clearly out to destroy the country.

You can argue that it is not good policy to cut spending. To argue it is a reward? That takes a mindset that is dangerously unhinged. Liberals worship him for that belief.

Is it really outlandish to say that they desire to destroy the country? Or are they just over the top, continuously and hopelessly distorting every debate to the detriment of all of America?

Author: lowstudent Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1853960 of 1971850
Subject: Re: Boehner puts Democrats in a box Date: 1/18/2013 6:13 PM
Methinks you haven't thought this through. The democrat party does not believe we have a spending problem. At all. Their mission is to not only pay 100% of the entitlements, but to create and pay *more*.

Has not thought it through? Holy understatement batman.

The US is going to not pay its' bill and run out of money for our elderly and those really in need because we refuse to reform -- and that is not going to destroy the country?

That is not merely not well thought through, it is far far far worse than that.

Author: ModernViking Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1853985 of 1971850
Subject: Re: Boehner puts Democrats in a box Date: 1/18/2013 11:17 PM
Recommendations: 41
The democrat party does not believe we have a spending problem. At all.

I don't believe this is part of the party platform.

And many people who happen to be voting Democratic these days see plenty of opportunities to cut spending.

One can argue that grilled cheese sandwiches are plotting to overthrow the EU. Just a different shade of crazy.

Author: NemesisToLibs Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1853986 of 1971850
Subject: Re: Boehner puts Democrats in a box Date: 1/18/2013 11:30 PM
"And many people who happen to be voting Democratic these days see plenty of opportunities to cut spending.
"

Oh please, enlighten us, because besides defense spending I haven't heard any other one. Now you said "plenty of opportunities", Please itemize the areas of spending that "many people" "voting democrat" have supported.

Not holding my breath on this one.

Author: richieds Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1853991 of 1971850
Subject: Re: Boehner puts Democrats in a box Date: 1/18/2013 11:50 PM
" Meanwhile, America heads further down the path of fiscal disaster."

You've been saying that for 4 years. I hope you don't invest the way you post.
In case your memory is a little foggy, we CAME from fiscal disaster.
The crash you keep talking about HAPPENED...in 2008.

"But maybe that's the real goal and has been all along."

If fiscal disaster has been the real goal all along, then you are right about Obama.

He really did screw it up!

Author: NemesisToLibs Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1853995 of 1971850
Subject: Re: Boehner puts Democrats in a box Date: 1/19/2013 12:12 AM
"In case your memory is a little foggy, we CAME from fiscal disaster."

No, we had a recession and NOT a fiscal disaster.
The fiscal disaster will be coming next.

Author: TheDope1 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1854002 of 1971850
Subject: Re: Boehner puts Democrats in a box Date: 1/19/2013 3:52 AM
LOL. Let's see the fiscal conservative side of PA. Besides zeroing out defense, what gets cut? Bear in mind that whacking all of defense spending still leaves you $400 bil in the hole.

Author: TheDope1 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1854003 of 1971850
Subject: Re: Boehner puts Democrats in a box Date: 1/19/2013 3:53 AM
So what, in your mind is the upper limit of US debt?

Author: ModernViking Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1854006 of 1971850
Subject: Re: Boehner puts Democrats in a box Date: 1/19/2013 9:13 AM
Recommendations: 50
Besides zeroing out defense, what gets cut?

A couple simple ones, right off the bat:

Corn subsidies (particularly as related to the Energy Policy Act of 2005 mandating ethanol blending) - $10B/year
Oil subsidies - $5B/year

But it's not just about "cutting". It's about creating efficiencies that will reduce costs. Allowing the feds to negotiate drug prices in Medicare part D would concievably save $25-30B a year. Tossing the entire health insurance industry and moving to single-payer would offer additional efficiencies.

There's a few to chew on.

Author: goofnoff Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1854007 of 1971850
Subject: Re: Boehner puts Democrats in a box Date: 1/19/2013 10:16 AM
Right wings response to MV's recommendations for cuts, nada.

Author: NemesisToLibs Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1854060 of 1971850
Subject: Re: Boehner puts Democrats in a box Date: 1/19/2013 1:37 PM
"But it's not just about "cutting". "

Yep, because you couldn't come up wit one actual spending cut! LOL

Author: TheDope1 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1854061 of 1971850
Subject: Re: Boehner puts Democrats in a box Date: 1/19/2013 1:38 PM
Wow. I'm in awe of your deficit cutting abilities. After we zero out defense we're all the way down to $400 billion in deficits...

...but thanks to you, we shave at least 10% of that! Holy cow! I totally want you to run for Congress. This kind of bold budgeting is exactly what D.C. needs!

Author: crassfool Big funky green star, 20000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1854100 of 1971850
Subject: Re: Boehner puts Democrats in a box Date: 1/19/2013 4:08 PM
goofnoff says

No surprise. They want to see cuts that will hurt people who vote Democratic.

Author: NemesisToLibs Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1854103 of 1971850
Subject: Re: Boehner puts Democrats in a box Date: 1/19/2013 4:23 PM
Goofnoff: Right wings response to MV's recommendations for cuts, nada.

Crassfool: No surprise. They want to see cuts that will hurt people who vote Democratic.

ROTFLOL Just proves what I have been saying all along most democrats feed from the government trough.

Author: TheDope1 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1854106 of 1971850
Subject: Re: Boehner puts Democrats in a box Date: 1/19/2013 4:29 PM
ROTFLOL Just proves what I have been saying all along most democrats feed from the government trough.

LOL @ them. MV managed to do...nothing. It never occurs to any of these people that maybe we ought to ask ourselves what the role of government is. And why things have to be the way they are now, going forward?

His "idea" was to save AT BEST $40bil out of a trillion dollar hole. No mention of real reform (single payer isn't going to work on about 50 levels and it doesn't address costs; all the feds can do is ration care). Laughable. But that won't stop them from calling US crazy.

America needs a better democrat party. The one it has is full of glue-sniffers.

Author: TMFSpeck Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1854165 of 1971850
Subject: Re: Boehner puts Democrats in a box Date: 1/19/2013 8:54 PM
Well certainly [liberals] do not plan on governing sanely.

"Liberals" are not threatening to take the country to default on her debts.

Speck

Author: NemesisToLibs Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1854166 of 1971850
Subject: Re: Boehner puts Democrats in a box Date: 1/19/2013 9:05 PM
"

Speck "

You lie. There is NO way that can happen if congress doesn't extend the debt limit.

Author: TheDope1 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1854171 of 1971850
Subject: Re: Boehner puts Democrats in a box Date: 1/19/2013 9:22 PM
Recommendations: 4

Actually, by refusing to pass budgets, by ignoring our entitlement problems and by jacking up spending by ridiculous amount "liberals" are all over demolishing the country.

Author: ModernViking Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1854337 of 1971850
Subject: Re: Boehner puts Democrats in a box Date: 1/20/2013 11:05 PM

Give it a few hours and they'll be back to the "liberals can't think of anything to cut" line.

Author: TheDope1 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1854338 of 1971850
Subject: Re: Boehner puts Democrats in a box Date: 1/20/2013 11:12 PM
Give it a few hours and they'll be back to the "liberals can't think of anything to cut" line.

Wake us up when you want to talk entitlements or cuts in the $100s of billions (Hint: that's the work that needs to be done). Otherwise, you're not reforming enough to roll out of bed for.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (28) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement