Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: bingocards Three stars, 500 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121482  
Subject: Bona Fide Residence Q Date: 6/23/2007 3:02 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
For the last three years I've lived and worked in Japan, returning to America every Christmas for about two weeks. I am a single guy and maintain no residence in America, have the requisite Japanese accounts for everything, am active at my Japanese church, basically fit bona fide residence to a T. For the last three years I have handily passed both the physical presence and bona fide residence tests for getting the Foreign Earned Income Exemption, which saves me quite a bit of money.

This year, I will be changing jobs (next employer also in Japan) and have 4 weeks between them, which I intend to use to travel home and visit the family. I assume that this is going to make it impossible for me to slice a 365 day period such that I fit the physical presence test, since I'll be going home again at Christmas. Thus if I don't pass the bona fide residence test I'm in for some serious beatdown from Uncle Sam.

I opened a small business in 2006, and will have about $8,000-10,000 worth of income from it in 2007. All of that is stateside (wonders of the Internet), and this has resulted in me, e.g., opening an additional 2 US bank accounts, opening a Roth IRA, etc etc. I also dutifully reported my 2006 income from the business, classified it as US source (it was a close call), and paid taxes on it. I will be doing the same in 2007.

Here's the $64,000 question: does the existence of this business and the associated connection to good ol' USA push me over the line for the bona fide residence test? If so, or if its on the bubble, what can I do to mitigate that?
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Considerable Headwinds for Profire Energy?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement