Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: susan400 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 211703  
Subject: bond risk to OIns industry- comments? Date: 2/18/2013 9:26 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
Greetings- This is more a insurance sector topic but the BRK board is always lively so I present this theory here. The “long bond” was 14.4 in Sept 1981, CBT futures(8%coupon then), spot month traded 52. I had started a brokerage career just 3 years prior and this youngster had sold some A rated bonds to 70 yr old clients in 79, 15-18 yr maturities that were trading at 45. Today, the long bond is, 3.17, 15 yr high grade corporates, 4ish%. The now CME bond futures, (now 6% coupon derivred) 142.

A fact we all know, credit, fixed income has out performed most asset classes over 10 yrs and have done very well since the high in rates in 1981. Insurance company portfolio have benefited tremendously from appreciation, though reinvestment rates of course are down, down, a corundum and one IMO has to end badly, to some degree anyway.

I like a few Ins names and consider them core but recently saw a list of public ins equities with links to 2012 and Q4 results. Being easy to do a quick take re book growth, combined ratios etc, I looked at 25. I was hit, though I really like my few, there are many doing so well, and foolishly though for a moment, Gee, so many to own! Of course I know better and back to reality it quickly hit me, so much has been gained in fixed income ports in recent yrs, add in a better than avg underwriting year and OF COURSE most did very well.

Which quickly says to me, how much of Ins Co gains of say the last 5 yrs has been “excess” bond port gains, coupons have been earned, OK, but principle gains have some risk. Personally I think bonds are a bubble (I. en-mass public desperate buying-don’t buy darn stks, they go down ala 2008-09, etc II) zero% bank rates gradually pushes the masses out the curve III) it has paid in recent yrs, Hey do more!!, as rates plunged lower, lower. OK, the point, if (when in my book) the long bond goes to 5.5 and short rates 3.5, who would take the losses worst and how much book might be gonzo and might many sell under book as Ins becomes unpopular (OMG, they can lose$$!).

I think one, me anyway, needs to have some capital sitting at .25%, sitting awaiting for grand opportunities in select insurance companies.

Comments, please, other views, ideas re this topic?
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Intel's Broadwell Potential
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement