UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (1) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: FrugalEE Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 35345  
Subject: Bonds look like a buy here. Date: 12/19/1999 5:07 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I added to my Vanguard bond funds Friday as I think we are at or close to a peak in rates. Specifically I added mostly Short Term Corporate (VFSTX) because it is at a 4 year low. I also added some Int term treasuries (VFITX). I recommend these along with Int Term Corps (VFICX). I favor VFICX in my tax exempt account (higher yield) and VFITX in my taxable account (no state taxes).

Sure, the Feds may raise rates a couple more times (I hope that cools off the stock mania), but I don't think that will punish bonds very much as the Feds are behind the curve and the markets anticipation of rates slowing things down will pretty well cancel out the increase in short term rates. The financial press is saying that two rate increases are already pretty well priced in. I am not putting much into long term treasuries or corps because the intermediate pays almost as well and has much lower risk.

Check out Gazarelli on CBS Market Watch. She i projecting a higher return on int term bonds than on SP500 for end of year 2000.

Dave
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (1) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Medallion Financial: TAXI!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement