UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (47) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: Gingko100 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 308881  
Subject: Re: Starting Again - Debt Elimination Date: 6/26/2007 7:22 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Booa:
I wish I could rec that post 100 times!!! I am self-employed too, and my mantra is taxes, taxes, taxes...it's so easy just to live off cash flow and forget that you NEED to have a hefty e-fund and you NEED to pay the taxes first before anything else. I usually overpay my tax, bcause I am totally afraid of penalties.

I got busy this spring and got late billing my clients. Plus there was that pesky quarterly tax payment in April and June. Luckily I had my e-fund, which I was able to live on for 3 months while I had no income coming in. I've billed my clients now (bad consultant, bad consultant...) and my first priority when the $ comes in is to re-fill the e-fund AND bump it up another $5K as a sort of penalty to myself for getting lazy enough to live off it when I didn't have to. Sort of self-paid-interest on my loan to myself. That's the only way I can force myself not to use it as day-to-day living fund. I have to really beat myself over the head to remind me that it is NOT for bills. It is NOT for investment opportunities. It is NOT for travel. It is for emergencies and periods of no income.

I think whatever budget the OP puts together MUST account for taxes - past and future. And it MUST account for what she is going to do when the IO loan adjusts. Where is that money going to come from? I see a lot about getting out of old debt, but not much about assessing future needs. To me that's critical. lastly, it MUST have excess $ diverted to the e-fund. Any self-employed person knows that is not optional.

Phew...that all sounds like a rant. I love being self-employed, but if I think about it too closely I get a little freaked out. The only way I can deal with it is to save like a maniac.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (47) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

TMF Credit Center
The Motley Fool Credit Center arms you with real tools and simple messages, that will help you in every credit situation.
Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Dividend Growth Investing

Good Time for Dividend Champions?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement