Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (23) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: rosewine Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 40913  
Subject: Book Recommendation Needed Date: 11/29/2005 10:51 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Can anyone recommend a good basic book on health and nutrition? I'd like to find something relatively mainstream for reference.

I've had several books out from the library, and they often seem okay for awhile, but then veer off into weirdness. (I don't believe that I have undigested food that stays in my colon for years - an example from one of the recent ones I read.) When they get weird, I tend to discount anything else they say as well.

Any suggestion?

Thanks,

Rose
Print the post Back To Top
Author: Savagegrace Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 25831 of 40913
Subject: Re: Book Recommendation Needed Date: 11/29/2005 11:02 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Sadly, due to your preconcieved beliefs, any book that would do you any good, you wouldn't believe.

Mucoid plaque is very real.

Savagegrace

Author: reallyalldone Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 25832 of 40913
Subject: Re: Book Recommendation Needed Date: 11/29/2005 11:07 AM
Recommendations: 1
I like Eat, Drink and Be Healthy by Walter Willett mostly because he tells the pros and cons of lots of studies and always seems to keep in mind that correlation does not equal causation.

I didn't like You, the Owner's Manual but it's worth borrowing from the library - there were recommendations in it that didn't match up with other things I had read.

rad

Author: DorothyM Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 25833 of 40913
Subject: Re: Book Recommendation Needed Date: 11/29/2005 11:29 AM
I like Eat, Drink and Be Healthy by Walter Willett mostly because he tells the pros and cons of lots of studies and always seems to keep in mind that correlation does not equal causation.

I like that one too.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0743266420/102-2026363-8704931?v=glance&n=283155&n=507846&s=books&v=glance

Author: zoningfool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 25834 of 40913
Subject: Re: Book Recommendation Needed Date: 11/29/2005 1:01 PM
Enter the Zone by Barry Sears.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0060391502/103-7957411-4274211?v=glance&n=283155&v=glance

Author: rosewine Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 25835 of 40913
Subject: Re: Book Recommendation Needed Date: 11/29/2005 1:14 PM
Recommendations: 4

Perhaps, so. However, it was apparently invisible when I had a colonoscopy.

Author: rosewine Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 25836 of 40913
Subject: Re: Book Recommendation Needed Date: 11/29/2005 1:15 PM
Thanks. I've had You, the Owners Manual on hold for awhile, and just added Eat, Drink and Be Healthy. I think I may have read that one some time back, but don't remember for sure.

Author: rosewine Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 25837 of 40913
Subject: Re: Book Recommendation Needed Date: 11/29/2005 1:16 PM
Enter the Zone by Barry Sears.

Okay, I've added that one to the library hold list also.

Thanks, everyone for the advice.

Author: Savagegrace Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 25838 of 40913
Subject: Re: Book Recommendation Needed Date: 11/29/2005 3:47 PM
Perhaps, so. However, it was apparently invisible when I had a colonoscopy. rosewine

Not everyone has it. If you had regular (at least once a day, for the majority of people) BM's the likelyhood is small.

Also, you did clean yourself out for the colonscopy.

You may find people who are regular after their colonscopy, then their systems will start bogging down again as time goes on. Or not, depending if their eating habits had changed or it was caused by a round of antibiotics.

Savagegrace

Author: TurkeyBreath Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 25840 of 40913
Subject: Re: Book Recommendation Needed Date: 11/29/2005 8:59 PM
Can anyone recommend a good basic book on health and nutrition? I'd like to find something relatively mainstream for reference...

I doubt if there is a perfect book on health and nutrition or any subject for that matter. But this board and the free weekly e-mail I get from www.mayoclinic.com are darn good sources for an overall view of the subject.

...(I don't believe that I have undigested food that stays in my colon for years - an example from one of the recent ones I read.)...

I never heard that one before. Then again, why not and so what? It's said that we have part of our first breath in our lungs till be die.

Good luck,

TB

Author: sheila727 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 25841 of 40913
Subject: Re: Book Recommendation Needed Date: 11/29/2005 9:35 PM
Dr. Andrew Weil's website targets various aspects of nutrition and health. You may not find the entire website of value, but I suspect there will be a great deal of helpful information.

http://www.drweil.com/u/Home/index.html

I'm familiar enough with his work to know that his recommendations and explanations aren't pie-in-the-sky revelations. He bases his views on research as much as possible. You can also sign up for daily tips. He's got recipes, discussion groups.....all sorts of information and resources.

sheila

Author: VeeEnn Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 25842 of 40913
Subject: Re: Book Recommendation Needed Date: 11/29/2005 9:54 PM
Recommendations: 3
...(I don't believe that I have undigested food that stays in my colon for years - an example from one of the recent ones I read.)...

I never heard that one before. Then again, why not....

Well, cell turnover rate for the GI mucosa is such that you get a new lining every 3 days or so, give or take. Makes the idea that you could have these "plaques" lining the walls for any length of time a bit nonsensical.

....and so what?

Knowing a bit of basic bowel physiology would go a long way to helping you resist the temptation to spend your $$bucks on Philboid Studge* or going the cottage cheese enema/hosepipe up the bum route (unless you want to, of course!) That's a big "so what?"

* Check out Saki's short stories

Author: nf Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 25844 of 40913
Subject: Re: Book Recommendation Needed Date: 11/29/2005 10:42 PM

Also, you did clean yourself out for the colonscopy.

You may find people who are regular after their colonscopy, then their systems will start bogging down again as time goes on. Or not, depending if their eating habits had changed

I like not so done or very rare food. An example would be slop, start the real hard stuff like rutebeggeres and parsnips, later add increaseingly softer stuff finishing with brocclie florets. Try to get everything a little resistant to mastication at finish. I also eat some nuts almost daily.

Mud doesent push well, but makes good cement.

Chris

Author: Alizi Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 25846 of 40913
Subject: Re: Book Recommendation Needed Date: 11/30/2005 12:04 AM
((( Can anyone recommend a good basic book on health and nutrition? I'd like to find something relatively mainstream for reference )))

Rose, I highly recommend "You Are What You Eat" by Dr. Gillian McKeith.

www.mckeithresearch.com

Ali

Author: Lurker1999 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 25848 of 40913
Subject: Re: Book Recommendation Needed Date: 11/30/2005 12:29 AM
Recommendations: 4
Sadly, due to your preconcieved beliefs, any book that would do you any good, you wouldn't believe.

Wow, and I thought since certain people left the fool people wouldn't come out swinging any more.

How about some support for your nasty statement? Preferably from peer-reviewed sources.

Author: nf Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 25849 of 40913
Subject: Re: Book Recommendation Needed Date: 11/30/2005 3:04 AM

She did show a tendency tward preconception.

Mucoid plaque is very real. This is under disscussion now.

Wow, and I thought since certain people left the fool people wouldn't come out swinging any more.

You have!......

How about some support for your nasty statement? Preferably from peer-reviewed sources.

And got a reck so far. So it is and was and aparently will be atttributes of personall preception,personna, or point of view that forever drive the format of this board?

We all have them. Sheding those dirty clothes and getting on with what is real is what we are here for.

BTW c coy really is nuts. 200+ lovers says something right here at fool. She thankfully was banned by fool in spite of that.

That and the nonstop unveiling of her bullhuey when she was here is only more support for me stateing that this place is better than any book.

Chris

Author: VeeEnn Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 25850 of 40913
Subject: Re: Book Recommendation Needed Date: 11/30/2005 7:15 AM
Recommendations: 2

She did show a tendency tward preconception.

Hardly. The OP only discounted the books as Weird Stuff after applying her plausibility meter and it registering high on the bullhuey scale.

The preconception is making the assumption that this application of critical thinking is in itself an indicator of preconceived ideas. That's an example of irrationality and faulty reasoning of coyesque™ proportions.

Author: rosewine Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 25852 of 40913
Subject: Re: Book Recommendation Needed Date: 11/30/2005 9:51 AM
The OP only discounted the books as Weird Stuff after applying her plausibility meter and it registering high on the bullhuey scale.

Wow. I haven't been following this board for long, but it seems like I've missed some weird stuff here as well. I have seen some of the coyesque opinions and discounted them as well.

And it's not the doubt about undigested food staying in the colon that seemed weird to me as much as that it allegedly stayed there for years, that everybody had it and that the only way to remove it was by regular colonics.

Logic tells me that if a person isn't having regular BMs that they need more fiber in their diet, not that they need an artificial means of removing the waste, but what do I know.

Author: sheila727 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 25853 of 40913
Subject: Re: Book Recommendation Needed Date: 11/30/2005 10:41 AM
Logic tells me that if a person isn't having regular BMs that they need more fiber in their diet, not that they need an artificial means of removing the waste, but what do I know.

A lot, perhaps

Author: TurkeyBreath Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 25855 of 40913
Subject: Re: Book Recommendation Needed Date: 11/30/2005 11:03 AM
...Logic tells me that if a person isn't having regular BMs that they need more fiber in their diet, not that they need an artificial means of removing the waste, but what do I know.

Common sense is not that common and it appears that you have it.

Welcome aboard,

TB

Author: Savagegrace Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 25871 of 40913
Subject: Re: Book Recommendation Needed Date: 11/30/2005 9:29 PM
Well, cell turnover rate for the GI mucosa is such that you get a new lining every 3 days or so, give or take. Makes the idea that you could have these "plaques" lining the walls for any length of time a bit nonsensical. VeeEnn

That however, is the point, why would you get plaque, if you have a healthy lining? If it's compromised you can get plaque, leaky gut or irritable bowel syndrome or whatever else.

When they get weird, I tend to discount anything else they say as well. RoseWine

This is what I was referring to. You wouldn't believe the crud I've had to read to get a better overall understanding of health issues. I'm sorry but if I followed your format I wouldn't be able to read any health books! I figure I get an average of 30% to 80% close to correct material…then the rest of it you just want to throw up your hands and ask what planet is this person on?

From what I've seen, the majority of people go along with something or someone until they feel something went over the top (of their belief!), then for some reason they throw out the entire ball of wax. Do yourself a favor RoseWine, think of it as a puzzle, where people claim to have all the pieces but really only have a few. It's up to you to both find the pieces and put them together. It's actually fun!

And it's not the doubt about undigested food staying in the colon that seemed weird to me as much as that it allegedly stayed there for years, that everybody had it and that the only way to remove it was by regular colonics.

RoseWine

Because you lack background information your logic will get you into trouble on this one. I personally never knew I wasn't regular, isn't every three days regular?

Here you should have pulled your puzzle pieces (some people will have plaque and will need something to eliminate it) and dropped the rest. May I assume he was selling detox cleansers?

The worst offender of this for me (aside from Dr Perricone sp?) was Raymond Francis who wrote Never Be Sick Again – One Disease – Two Causes – Six Pathways. Very good book for differentiating the cause of a disease. But GOOD GOD, want to buy some very expensive detox stuff! Mercy! Give me the MC and Liver Flush!

Mucoid plaque is very real. SG – Lurker1999

Personal experience trumps a quorum of blowhards any day.

Went from an average of one BM every 3 days (hard as rocks with tearing of anus – from teenager to ~ 46) to being regular after eliminating the damnest loooong snake of MP, wanted to call Guinness Book of World Records! And that was before I knew anything about the stuff so there was no preconceived notions going on!

YO nf !!

I like not so done or very rare food.

Dude! You really and I mean really, need to do a parasite cleanse at least every two years.

And Best Wishes to All!

Savagegrace

Author: Lurker1999 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 25872 of 40913
Subject: Re: Book Recommendation Needed Date: 11/30/2005 11:14 PM
Recommendations: 5
Personal experience trumps a quorum of blowhards any day.

I'm glad your personal experience was positive. You shared yours in a snippy fashion. I asked that you provide peer-reviewed references for your position. If you wish to back your statement by personal experience alone there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. It's simply that, the personal experience of a single person that may or may not be applicable to any other individual. If you're an expert in a field, your personal experience can be considered "expert opinion" which may be the best thing going in a lot of instances where there simply isn't anything better. However then you'd need to flash some credentials to be considered an expert.

Ad hominem attacks by calling something a "quorum of blowhards" adds nothing to the conversation beyond weakening your statements and credibility. If you wish to leave your claims of "mucoid plaque" being real at personal experience then so be it. But then your claim should be prefaced as personal opinion, and if need be exposed as such.

Author: rosewine Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 25877 of 40913
Subject: Re: Book Recommendation Needed Date: 12/1/2005 10:21 AM
Recommendations: 2
When they get weird, I tend to discount anything else they say as well. RoseWine

This is what I was referring to. You wouldn't believe the crud I've had to read to get a better overall understanding of health issues. I'm sorry but if I followed your format I wouldn't be able to read any health books! I figure I get an average of 30% to 80% close to correct material…

Note that I said I tend to discount anything else not that I don't believe anything else. Perhaps that was a poor choice of words. 30% to 80% sounds about right. I'm especially skeptical when the author is the only one who is pushing a specific diagnosis/treatment and even more so when they are attempting to sell the treatment for whatever that ailment may be.

Because you lack background information your logic will get you into trouble on this one. I personally never knew I wasn't regular, isn't every three days regular?

I suppose every 3 days is regular, but I remember learning in health class in the 1950s that a person should have a BM every day. If I eat corn at dinner, I see the pass through the next morning, so I don't think I have anything to worry about that.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (23) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement