No. of Recommendations: 2
<<terrible library book return-on-time-er

>>

I keep two boxes available, one for borrowed library material and the second for library material ready to be returned.

When I'm making a trip to the library, it's easy to pick up stuff ready to be returned. And by keeping borrowed material more or less in one place, it doesn't get mixed in with other junk and get lost.

That works well for me.

Any other strategies for dealing with library material?
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 5
Any other strategies for dealing with library material?

I met some people who used multiple libraries and who had various tote bags, one for each library. The bags had the library name stenciled on the side.

As far as getting things back on time, marking the calendar with the date usually works. And with the larger systems that are in place, you can look up the due date and either renew it or remind yourself to get over there and return the books.

Nancy
No. of Recommendations: 0
Good plan. We have a similar plan: a book bag that hangs in the coat closet, and I can just grab it and my wallet and go.

We rarely have late materials. DVD movies are 1 day loans, and sometimes those don't get back on time if the weather is really nasty on a Friday (they close early on Friday).

It helps that we only live about 350 yards from the library. :)
I met some people who used multiple libraries and who had various tote bags, one for each library. The bags had the library name stenciled on the side.

Our library provides stenciled tote bags for book borrowers to borrow, as well. They have lost very few since instituting the courtesy.

Chili
No. of Recommendations: 1
While I do check out a physical book every now and then, I normally only use my library for ebooks. They automatically return themselves after 14 days. No late fees.
While I do check out a physical book every now and then, I normally only use my library for ebooks. They automatically return themselves after 14 days. No late fees.

Yep, I'm all ebook. Though I'd like to point out they don't return themselves if you have the wireless turned off. So if you have two chapters to go and the book was due yesterday you're fine as long as you finish before you turn on the wireless again. I also get the choice of 7, 14, or 21 days from my library.

Lara Amber
Back when I used the library a lot, I picked one weekday - Thursday - to be "library day." I went every Thursday and almost never went other day of the week. This made everything I checked out due on a Thursday, so I cut down my overdues a lot. Before I did this I had a lot of fines, sometimes just a day or two, but it was a lot of random visiting with missed overdues a lot. I'd also try to check my account online on Wednesday to make sure I knew what was due that week and had it ready to go back.
I drive right by my library on the way to work and use the drop in box. The only problem with this is if I return something on the day it's actually due, they don't seem to pick up the books until the next day so I get a fine. Which I only realized later when I had a bunch of fines for things I thought were on time. Oh well.

I don't check out a whole bunch of things at once, usually.
We use the two box system, mentioned above. Our library sends out an email two or three days before the book,dvd,or audibook is due. If we haven't finished we go online and renew. If not renewable (someone has it on reserve) we makea point to take back.
Advertisement