Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 1
Am I the only one who thinks this is a BAD idea?

Here’s how: Rather than file your return tomorrow, request an automatic extension for six months. With the extension request, you are supposed to pay what you estimate you owe, with penalties for underestimates. But if you come within 10 percent of the correct tax number, there is no penalty, just the interest charge.

Let’s say you owe total taxes of $100,000 this year, of which $80,000 was previously paid in withholding and estimated tax payments. Instead of filing a return Tuesday, file for an extension, and estimate you will owe a total of $90,000. Include a $10,000 check to bring the total paid to $90,000. Come Oct. 15, file your return showing the $100,000 tax owed, with a check for $10,000 plus the interest.

Result, you borrowed $10,000 from Uncle Sam for six months at a rate far lower than you would be likely to pay on any loan you got from your real bank.


Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.