UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (18) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: 1DEG Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 42341  
Subject: Re: How do you (working parents) do it? Date: 1/5/2009 1:25 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 4
Both of my parents worked when I was growing up. I think my mom was happier for being able to get out of the house, and I think that was better for us because when she was home she was happy to be with us, wheras I think if she had been home all of the time we would have driven her up a wall. So for my parents, both working was the better solution. And as the kid, I always felt loved by both of my parents and that is what matters in the end. And both of my parents would tell you, and have told me, that having kids was one of the best things they ever did. So yes, working parents can feel fulfilled by the exprience.

That being said, being out of the home for 12 hours a day is a lot when they are little. Most babies and toddlers sleep about 12 hours at night. I know my DD sleeps from 7 to almost 7 every day, so if I were out of the home for 12 hours I would literally miss all of the time she was awake every single weekday. I do think working parents can be good parents, but not if they miss their kids whole life, and that's what you would be doing. So I would consider amending your work schedule so that you have at least a few hours a day at home when the kiddo is awake.

Plus it's hard to look at the missing cashflow and not resent it.

Now this, I will tell you, is likely not the case. At the risk of sounding completely sappy, the love you feel for your child is unlike anything else you have ever experienced. It's unbelievable transformative and turns your priorities completely upside down. I know having kids is not for everyone, but I'm assuming you would not be on here trying to figure out the logistics if some part of you did not want kids. And I will tell you that hearing my daughter giggle has brought me more joy than every material possesion I've ever had combined. I would give any amount of money for one smile, one chance to smell her wonderful baby smell after a bath, one bedtime snuggle, or one chance to see the look on her face as she discovers something new, but thankfully all of that is free.

DEG
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (18) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

2.1: The Labor Pool Problem
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement