Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: Earble Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 71394  
Subject: Bought a Bad Engine Date: 12/3/2012 11:15 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Hi, all --

This is not really a car issue, except that the purchase of an engine is involved. But I'm hoping somebody might be able to give me some advice to pass on to my son (whom I love unconditionally, no matter what he does).

Long story short, he bought a used Japanese-sourced engine through eBay from a supplier in Canada. When the shop went to install the engine, they found that it was completely rusted on the inside and won't work. Big trouble is, they found this out one day outside of the 45-day period for eBay disputes. He says the supplier is giving him the runaround. The shop "feels bad" they didn't do the compression test earlier, but apparently feels no other obligation to make things right.

I suggested he call the state Attorney General to see if he has any legal leg to stand on. I suspect he's out the money, because the amount is small ($1600), and there's no international small claims court.

$1600 is a small amount of money, but it's a lot of money to my son (whom I love unconditionally, no matter what he does). Can anybody suggest any other options?

Earble
(no matter what he does)
Print the post Back To Top
Author: TMFTwitty Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 69638 of 71394
Subject: Re: Bought a Bad Engine Date: 12/3/2012 12:28 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
Sounds like a scam to me. Probably came from a tsunami car. If it were me, I'd get a rebuilt engine from a reputable US source, and keep the rusty one in the corner of the garage for any parts needed later on.

Richard

Author: pauleckler Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 69640 of 71394
Subject: Re: Bought a Bad Engine Date: 12/3/2012 3:17 PM
Recommendations: 2
The engine you bought can probably be rebuilt. It should have some residual value.

In some areas local schools or junior colleges have auto mechanic training programs. They may be willing to rebuilt the engine for you. Or accept it as a donation for a tax write-off. Some even offer adult education programs that will allow you to do the work under supervision by an expert.

Author: Milligram46 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 69643 of 71394
Subject: Re: Bought a Bad Engine Date: 12/5/2012 8:51 PM
Recommendations: 4
I would chalk this one up to a life lesson for your son. I'm willing to bet he has learned several.

Maybe I'm old fashioned, but $1600 for a block of Canadian rust from a vendor that didn't test the engine by their own admission is a lot of money. If he hasn't rated them on eBay, at least he can give them a trash rating.

As noted there are lots of vocational schools that could do the repairs on the cheap. Or, he could secure another engine from a more reliable source.

I will add, but again, maybe I'm old fashioned. I would have him pay you back for the second engine if you go that route. You seem like a really good dad from the little provided, of course we don't want our kids to fail but alas, nothing in life is free or without strings. If that makes you cringe, lets say a second engine from a reputable source is $2000 -- then have him pay 50% - over time if he doesn't have the cash. I think it is just solid life advice. Otherwise the lesson becomes, I have money problem - call relative to solve problem.

My two cents.

Author: Watty56 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 69644 of 71394
Subject: Re: Bought a Bad Engine Date: 12/5/2012 11:09 PM
Recommendations: 2
Did he buy it with a credit card?

Their might be some protection through that.

Also be sure to check on just when the 45 day window starts. It could be the sale date, payment date, ship date, or receipt date If the seller did not ship it right away he may have some extra days.

Author: Earble Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 69645 of 71394
Subject: Re: Bought a Bad Engine Date: 12/6/2012 8:01 AM
Recommendations: 1
Thanks, everyone, for your advice and suggestions. He pretty much did everything wrong, down to and including giving the seller a good rating on eBay - which you apparently can't change after the 45 day period. The one mildly bright spot is that when he told me that he bought a crap engine, he said "You were right again, Dad." Let's hope he remembers that next time.

We're in negotiations as to what he will do next. He needs a car to get to his job, so letting him do without isn't an option. But I'll be extracting more severe terms and conditions this time. :-)

Thanks,
Earble

Author: Volucris Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 69689 of 71394
Subject: Re: Bought a Bad Engine Date: 12/19/2012 4:02 PM
Recommendations: 0
Who was the seller?

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement