UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (27) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: dsemmler Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 1483  
Subject: Re: Budget gotchas Date: 10/15/2003 3:41 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Boy, I couldn't agree more with health insurance being the biggest "gotcha"! I medically retired at 39, will officially retire at 50 (yr and a half to go) while DH, who is 52, is still working due to health insurance costs. He currently pays $50 per month towards his ins. (which will probably go to $125 with the new contract) Once he retires (in 2 yrs) we have to pay the entire amt. which is over $900 per month as of two months ago. We've worked it into the "spending plan" but it still hurts!

This is a "gotcha" that may work in reverse for me. Currently, I am in the IT field and working as an independent contractor. My youngest son has some medical conditions that exclude him from coverage on individual health plans. Therefore, we had to enroll in a group plan but we are responsible for the entire premium.

The good news is the healthcare provider recently changed and our premiums went down from over $800 to just under $700 per month. If the time comes where my son no longer has his current medical problems or he is of age and no longer covered on our insurance, I imagine we will be able to save on our healthcare costs.

If not, at least we will be used to paying high healthcare costs.

dt
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (27) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Medallion Financial: TAXI!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement