Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 7
Boy is this topic timely for us!

DH and I are going to visit the Continuing Care facility closest to us on this Saturday. Next Saturday we are going to visit the other one that interests us in Palo Alto. 2nd visits at both places. A third place proved much too costly to investigate further.

Our reasons for deciding to move to a CC facility when we live in a convenient one storey 4-bedroom 2.5 bath room house with a garden and room to grow vegetables and putter?

*We are now in our 70s.

*To help our daughters who live nearby. We have no other relatives in the USA who could help them make major decisions for us ( yes we have a Living Will etc) and we don't want them to have worries of any sort as they struggle between their young families, their jobs and two elderly parents...

*DH will never drive again. His knee will never bend. Our suburb has poor public transport.

*DH is still working and happy to do so, and this can be done from his home wherever he is.

*DH needs a LOT of intellectual stimulation..interesting lectures and discussions, high level of bridge or other games, constant involvement in political issues and discussions, Temple involvement,some volunteering, theater, his choir etc etc and we need a swimming pool and fitness classes. In a big enough facility in an area like Palo Alto ( Stanford etc) these are easy to obtain.

* We are still young enough to make "new lives" if we move now, but also want to stay close to our children, current friends and hobbies..

* I have found throughout my life that I can be happy anywhere. I do, however, need some greenery, some dirt to putter in, and access to the coast or water...a little more difficult to find in these facilites in urban settings. I can volunteer anywhere. I'm very happy with my own company, but DH needs more interaction with others.

The costs locally are going to be fairly hefty. Even preliminary talks a year ago showed a two-bedroom place in these homes ranged from the high $600,000s to low $800,000s, with approx $7000 a month fees.
Probably more now. Costs may prove prohibitive. I really don't like having to buy in. I'd like to just rent, but the facility that rented ( we saw one) was very gloomy.

Soooo...we are looking and aiming to move in May 2014. We are going to start downsizing and clearing out 34 years of clutter...
My younger daughter is coming Friday this week, to start on the garage!!

This is a HUGE decision we are making. In fact we started only last week, (when we talked to a realtor,) thinking really seriously and setting a goal date.

All advice welcomed!!

Big Momma
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement