UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: eatnbybears Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 976  
Subject: Brain injured Fool? Date: 3/16/2005 7:46 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 12
I guess that there have been many times stock ownership and brain injury get mentioned in the same sentence :)

But, I am infact one who is on the constant recovery path from a kick butt brain injury.

What happend? 1996 MI from a blood clotting disorder, hear would not restart, 45 min of CPR (yes 45 min) and 14 day Coma from O2 deprivation.

Awoke without ability to walk, talk, think, remember, read .... heck was a babbling idiot at first.

Once semi coherent, woman and two children cam into room and stated they were my wife and kids, I mumbled "bad joke" .. Lost 25 years of memory.

Since 1996, have

Trusted the woman she was not lieing (she had photos and legal papers) :)

Learned to walk. speak properly and without error (aphasia)

Read at a functional and usefull level, but lack of retention prevents me from reading "books"

I drive in town, but get lost beyond local areas. Forget everyones names, live off of notes, have concentration problems, cat nap 15-20 min throuhout the day, but rarely "sleep" (hey ..Einstine did the same thing)

OK, to the point ....

8-9 years of "coming back" I have been faced with

Balance
Concentration and focus
Memory
Organizational skills tricks and gadgets
Vision
Over stimulation by light, sound and touch
Pharmaceuticals, Drugs of all types, Anitidepressants, mood stabelizers memory.

And Insurance companies
Disability Companies
Pain in the Ass doctors
Scum sucking Lawyers
Shrinks, Neurologists, rehab, hospitals, billing departments

8-9 years of learning the system

and, the woman who tells me she is my wife :) is a Regestered Nurse, has fought every battle and more with me, and is very aware of all of the above.

So, My years of experiance are available to anyone who needs it.

I still have problems.

8-9 years later, sat down in a new rehab program, stared at a simple word type math problem, looked at the therapist after 15 min and said "I cant do this" 8 weeks later shee has me tearing through them.

We never stop recovering. Someday I will read a Novel.

Post up any questions about anything, I will try and find the answer.

If all else fails, I have a soft sholder :)

Steve
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement