UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (85) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: JAFO31 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 75532  
Subject: Re: 7702 Private Plans (indexed universal life) Date: 3/27/2013 7:16 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 4
Brandonisme: "Thanks for the responses so far.. interesting reading the different opinions. I'd say I'm reading better arguments from the pro than the con side at the moment. Has anyone heard of these things going sour? The people that are against this aren't really making "specific arguments why this is bad, more just overall statements like; if they are getting commission they are screwing you and if the contract is really long it must be a scam. I am actually hearing more logical arguments why this may not be all that bad of a way to go."

Pay attention to RayVT.

Do you need life insurance? Have you maxed out other tax advantaged investment/retirement account choices? Are you prepared to overfund the policy without becoming a Modifeid Endowment Contract? Do you intend to the life insurance in force for your entire life?

"I think another reason high commission is supposed to be justified, is because with something like this you sign up once and that's where your money goes. When you are investing in individual funds / stocks, there's so much money handling going on the commission can be smaller because the brokers continually get commission as money is moved around... correct me if I'm wrong.."

More money for less work? Sales people must love you. Or is there any chance that you are an insurance salesperson? I trust not, but you are new and your only posts are about IUL policies.

See also:

http://helpdesk.blogs.money.cnn.com/2012/07/09/indexed-unive...

http://www.slideshare.net/AlDeRemigis/indexed-universal-life... (from someone interested in selling IUL policies, but still a decent basic explanation)

http://www.producersweb.com/r/IIG/d/contentFocus/?pcID=d1c6f...

"They are merely facts that buyers should keep in mind and seriously consider before committing their hard-earned dollars to this retirement savings strategy.
1. Buying index universal life is a long-term commitment. . . .
2. The requirement to pay mortality charges. . . .
3. The ability of the carrier to change mortality charges. . . .
4. Possible bond-like returns over time. . . .
5. The ability of the carrier to change some element of the interest crediting formula. The carrier does this simply because it is unaffordable for the carrier to provide a strong long-term guarantee on the index-related interest crediting formula. . . .
6. Illustrations are unreliable. . . .
7. Management changes at the carrier can result in bad treatment. . . .
8. Contract lapse can create a tax disaster. . . .

However, a truly informed customer should enter an index universal life contract with full knowledge of these eight cautionary items. For the reasons stated above, it makes sense to diversify across a variety of retirement savings strategies, and not to rely upon index universal life as your sole retirement strategy."

Id.

Regards, JAFO
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (85) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement