UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (23) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: alstroemeria Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 884358  
Subject: Re: $200 a month food budget Date: 1/4/2013 12:07 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
BREAKFAST
Eggs (huevos rancheros, crustless quiche, poached on half an English muffin...), fruit smoothies especially in warm weather, oatmeal, homemade granola, pancakes/waffles usually with blueberry sauce. We almost never have coffee out, but buy really good coffee at home.

LUNCH
Leftovers, salad, soup (most likely a quick Asian soup like miso), cheese & crackers w/fruit, humus or other dip and veggie sticks, homemade trail mix if on the go.

DINNER
I aim for 3 vegan/vegetarian dinners/week. Lots of soups and stews in cold weather, curries all year round. More grilled stuff and colder dishes like fish tacos and fish/poultry/beef salads in warm weather. We eat a lot of dried beans and a tub of organic sprouted tofu a week.

We typically eat out or take out lunch or dinner once a week. Sometimes enough for 2 meals.

DINNER MENUS

Week Before Christmas
3--Mayan (spicy, vegan) black bean soup & cole slaw
1--pan-fried wild salmon, chard w/fennel & leek, cucumber salad
1--<eat out shrimp rolls, Thai braised duck, stir fried vegetables>
2--Vietnamese braised beef (chuck roast on sale--I bought several), bok choy, carrots

This Week
3--French (vegan) lentil stew, lettuce salad
1--hot pot (tofu, shiitake, and napa soup), Asian salad
2--fish chowder, salad w/beets & oranges
1--leftover turkey and sides from Christmas week

Next Week
1--pasta w/broccoli, lemon, capers, hot pepper flakes and romano cheese
2--dal, baingan bartha (eggplant curry), aloo gobi (cauliflower-potato curry)
1--Vietnamese rice noodles w/shellfish and vegetables
2--avgolemono (Greek chicken soup)
1--minestre (Italian white bean, cabbage and sausage stew)

Yeah, looking this over, I can see why I have trouble keeping under $250/pp ;-) Also, I can't eat cheep carbs coz I'm gluten-intolerant--so no English muffins on sale or cheap pasta, or cheap dairy products either (lactose intolerant)--almond milk costs ~3x as much as dairy milk. We don't really have good cheap ethnic markets here in the South, and our farmers' market produce isn't usually cheaper than supermarkets, although it's fresher and usually better, but they don;t have everything I want like Asian vegetables. Only discount markets are Walmart (I shop there mostly on RV trips--and late in the month when I'm over budget on food, but I never buy meat there) and Trader Joe's. When I'm on the ball, I make homemade sprouts and grow herbs and mesclun greens.

This year I hope to work on homemade sausage, homemade gluten-free bread, and homemade kefir (the brand I prefer is $4.99/quart! It's lactose free with no weird additives).

My name is alstro, and I am a foodie :-/
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (23) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Kate Spade's Wild Ride
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement