UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: FoolMeOnce Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 74759  
Subject: Re: Sell Pricipal Residence; Carry Back Paper? Date: 4/3/2005 10:26 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 5
BrerBear writes:

My question is: Has anyone else carried back the paper when selling their residence? Do's and don'ts? Really big regrets? Etc?

Carrying the financing is an important option to consider and can be a great idea for the right person under the right circumstances. It can also be a disaster. In most cases, I would recommend that your buyer has substantial equity in the deal to provide incentive not to default. I would also keep the financing short; i.e. due in 5 to 10 years. Whoever you finance should be qualified and determined to be an excellent credit risk. The papers should be drawn by an attorney to make sure you enjoy the benefits of all lender protections allowed in your state. Installment sales make more sense to me as a means of tax deferral and less sense on the sale of a personal residence.

The primary advantage is that you may be able to sell for a higher price by providing built-in owner financing. It is also nice to receive a stream of payments secured by valuable real estate.

Things to watch out for: A mortgage note is like a long-term callable bond. You are locked into the rate stated in the mortgage for the entire term. If interest rates go up, you are stuck with an under-performing asset. The borrower however, can refinance or pay off the note whenever he wants. This could result in you receiving a lump sum at an inopportune time to reinvest. If the borrower's equity is thin and he runs into financial difficulties (particularly in a bad real estate market) you could end up with the property back (also at an inopportune time). You could even find yourself under-collateralized with no way to completely recover. If the borrower declares bankruptcy, you may lose access to the payments as well as the principal for an extended period.

To summarize:

Qualify your borrower.
Require that your borrower have a substantial equity stake.
Keep it short.

Regards,
FMO
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
2013 Feste Award Voting Begins!
Who will win the 2013 Feste Award? Vote now for the Fool that most exemplifies the Fool Community mission of Learning Together!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Berkshire Hathaway

Reestablishing the Middle Class
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement