Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: them Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 2855  
Subject: Brewfest! Date: 6/19/2003 6:57 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
Did anyone else attend the Pacific Northwest Brewfest in Kenmore, Washington over Fathers Day weekend?

My lovely, lovely ladies not only took me out there for a great time, but gifted me with a copy of the Brewmaster Game! :-)

While Mrs & Miss Them sipped on free craft-rootbeers (designated drivers!), I took my little 5 oz commemorative glass around to 6 or 7 booths to sample a wide range of tasty brews! A nice Marzen & hefeweizen, an intense "Hopzilla" (makes my mouth pucker remembering it!), a Schwarzebier (sp?), an orange hefe (thankfully not TOO orange), even a nice mead. Not a loser in the bunch!

Other amenities included great food (brats, among other things), a great set by The Paperboys, complete with a couple young Irish dancers in the crowd, and a brewers-challenge keg-toss, which was hammed up quite well (including the sole female rep, a lovely young weight-lifter, being tossed in a kiddy pool ;)
Sadly, I can't remember which brewery-rep won - although it wasn't last years winner, the guy with the disturbing plastic hop-head, I remember that!

The state patrol also hosted a booth where you could get a free breathalyzer test. Never having had occasion to be tested before, I was curious and stopped by to chat when there was no line. To my surprise, after a half-dozen or so 5-6 oz tasters, my blood level was only .01% (legal limit is .08). I asked the trooper if that meant I could drink 8 times as much, to which he quipped "only if you're Irish" (it just so happens...) I guess a couple of hours and a bratwurst helped, but it did give me pause and make me think - I would have guessed that I was significantly higher than .01%; if it's a linear relationship between BA levels and the subjective interpetation, at .08% I doubt I would even be ambulatory (so to speak), let alone able to crawl into a car and do something dumb like drive. Hmm..

The BrewMaster game, btw was easy to learn and quite fun. Youngest Daughter (age 9) picked right up on it and almost won (it's NOT a drinking game)! Yours truly was throughly beaten (mashed?) by both wife and daughter - but still had a good time. It's a neat little game, based on Rummy - more chance than strategy, but easy and fun.
FMI: http://kumquat.com/cgi-kumquat/funagain/13538

So anyhow, did anyone else attend this Seattle area fest, and what did you think?
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Considerable Headwinds for Profire Energy?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement