Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: esxokm Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 49985  
Subject: Re: MouseBucks - No (Paid) Sick Days For You! Date: 5/4/2013 4:27 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Brief thoughts:

I don't really have a huge opinion on this, but I do admit to being surprised Disney cares about the sick-time issue. Well, let me take that back a little -- it cares for obvious reasons. But I'm not certain this is the fight the company wants to make. It's strange how companies worry so much about customer service -- i.e., terminating employees after a complaint from a customer if said employees even slightly decide to resist taking verbal abuse from a customer -- and then go ahead and alienate a bunch of customers (i.e., the citizens this would benefit). Believe me, I am a profit-minded individual, but I think allowing sick time is prudent because morale will improve and it will help stop the spread of flus and the like. What Disney should do is allow the law to go through; Disney can absorb the cost increase (assuming there is one, because I don't know the Mouse's current sick-time policy) and perhaps create a burden for competitors (wasn't this the theory behind Wal-Mart's -- or some big retailer -- suupport of the minimum wage increase at one time?). Another thing to consider is that Disney could simply cut costs in other areas, or reduce benefits for employees that aren't as crucial as sick time.

Not sure I want to see Disney buy a TV station, but maybe it's a good idea.

The DreamWorks Animation purchase is something I discussed on another board. Don't know why this is an attractive asset, but perhaps it will work out. I own shares of DWA and will root for it.

I think Disney price action is extremely interesting. If the market continues to rally -- and I think it will -- we may see $80 before a rest.

Some say -- including Tim Beyers of the Fool -- that Iron Man 3 might outgross Avengers. Not sure about that, but it is doing better than I expected.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Looking at Currency Ratios
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement