Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Mungo, after owning Brk shares now for nearly 2 decades only recently I discovered that they are subject to US Estate Tax (40%), although I am not a US tax resident (Germany or New Zealand instead, this year no tax resident anywhere).

Meaning if tomorrow I cross the street too carelessly the beneficiary of my last will will get not much more than half of what I invested in US shares, a big surprise for me as I thought all the time the US would tax only my US sourced income.

So much for not doing my homework :-)

Would you - and others in this situation - care to tell me how you handle this situation? Surely that would be interesting for many more foreigners here which intend to keep their Brk shares "forever" (or until hit by a truck).
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement