UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: RocketsMomma Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 10537  
Subject: Broadcast TV to AVR for Surround? Date: 10/5/2012 5:22 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
We have DirecTV. CBS is the only local channel in the area and therefore we are not allowed CBS through DirecTV (waiver was denied).

Question: does Dolby or some kind of 5.1 signal get broadcast with the digital TV signal?

If it is, and then passed through a digital to audio converter box (in this case a Magnavox TB110MW9) is the Dolby retained or does it get lost?

What DH has done is send the broadcast antenna signal into a splitter, and sent one coax into the LCD TV's RF input.

The other coax goes into the Magnavox converter box, then into the VCR via composite and then the left and right RCA jack audio from the VCR heads into the AVR.

We are getting stereo I assume but not an actual Dolby type sound. As our station is a rinky-dink hick station I suspect they are only broadcasting Dolby 2.0 if any (can't figure it out from website).

DH says we need to use the Magnavox converter because the TV does not have an audio out to take the sound from the broadcast signal and get it into the AVR. Obviously, we could use the TV's speakers but we'd rather use the surround sound. (DH then told me I bought a crappy TV, I can't tell if he was being funny or not.)

Question: The only audio output I see listed in the TV manual is called "optical digital audio out". Is this the thing I would use to get the Dolby/RF coax from the TV and out to an AVR assuming I had an AVR that was NEW enough to have the proper input?

The whole reason this started was my desire to just pull the VCR out of the system and move it to the older TV (but we're feeding the satellite box through the VCR via coax to that TV because of signal degradation if we tried using 40 feet of composite).

Or maybe I should just go get a beer, turn on the DVD and watch another LotR movie?

RM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: MichaelRead Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Winner! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9649 of 10537
Subject: Re: Broadcast TV to AVR for Surround? Date: 10/6/2012 2:38 AM
Or maybe I should just go get a beer, turn on the DVD and watch another LotR movie?

RM

Always a good choice.

Why do you have a digital/analog unit? If your TV is less than two years old it has a digital tuner. Check the manual.

Question: does Dolby or some kind of 5.1 signal get broadcast with the digital TV signal?

The basic answer is yes but not all stations transmit at 5.1. Phone the station, talk with the head engineer. Chances are it’s a Dolby 2.0 but maybe not.

Check the back of the satellite receiver. You should have an input from the satellite head and a separate input for a TV antenna. Depends on the model but you should have both.

MichaelR

Author: RocketsMomma Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9650 of 10537
Subject: Re: Broadcast TV to AVR for Surround? Date: 10/6/2012 10:48 AM
Oh I know the HDTV can convert digital, we got the boxes BEFORE we got this TV. Our 2 other TVs are old. One of them I bought in 1981.

The back of the satellite box does not have an antenna in. DH says to get the satellite signal to the TV in the guest room we need to use NTSC because of the distance. That TV does have component and composite inputs but it's 50 feet away. He thinks there will be too much signal loss.

Unless it's okay to run a composite line 50 feet? It's probably more like 38 but I don't think they make them to odd lengths.

Otherwise we're looking at one of these:

http://www.mycablemart.com/store/cart.php?m=product_detail&a...

Not the greatest solution but there ya go. We don't want to pay for another satellite box when that TV gets watched so seldom.

RM

Author: MichaelRead Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Winner! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9651 of 10537
Subject: Re: Broadcast TV to AVR for Surround? Date: 10/6/2012 6:38 PM
Recommendations: 1
The back of the satellite box does not have an antenna in.

RM

Run the OTA aerial separately, as you have, going to the TV’s antenna connection. Use the TV as the switch between them. When you get your new amp you can plug the OAT directly to it and use the amps as the switch.
DH says to get the satellite signal to the TV in the guest room we need to use NTSC because of the distance. That TV does have component and composite inputs but its 50 feet away. He thinks there will be too much signal loss.

At 50 feet there is signal loss so you’ll need a line amp such as this: http://www.walmart.com/ip/RCA-10dB-Video-Signal-Amplifier/11...

Tell hubster NTSC is a broadcast transmission standard as to color/lines per inch, etc., and is not associated with line impedance.

Unless it's okay to run a composite line 50 feet? It's probably more like 38 but I don't think they make them to odd lengths.

Run a coax (RG-6 or RG-11) cable – it’s far cheaper and, using a line amp, gives a clear signal. Rule of thumb is adding ten percent to the final cut length so, for 40 odd feet add at least four or five feet. Turns take up more length than originally estimated.

MichaelR

Author: RocketsMomma Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9652 of 10537
Subject: Re: Broadcast TV to AVR for Surround? Date: 10/8/2012 11:32 AM
Thanks for the tip. I find it interesting that about half the reviews said it worked great and the other half said it did nothing or made it worse. Most of the reviews didn't have much info to figure out why that could be happening.

Another thing that occurred to me was the quality of the actual line splitter. We've got an old Radio Shack cheapos that look like it's made out of wonder metal. For the heck of it I looked them up on Amazon and there are a zillion of them in different metals, claims of 900 mHz to 2.4 GHz. And the reviews are all over the place. Would a better one of these really make a difference?

RM

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement