Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (12) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: TheTortoise One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121572  
Subject: Broker Error on 1099-B? Date: 4/16/2011 9:50 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
In the past I’ve owned the SPDR Gold Trust (GLD) in my taxable account. After several years of dealing with the then new “Cost Basis Allocation Factor,” I sold all of my GLD and vowed never to own collectibles in a taxable account again. I sold the last of it on 12/30/2009, and looked forward to a peaceful tax season for 2010.

I’ve just discovered that my broker listed GLD on my 2010 1099-B, specifically the 12 monthly amounts for the “Cost Basis Allocation Factor” totaling $21.43 ... which is then included in the total 1099-B gross proceeds. Since I haven’t owned GLD since 2009, this seems like an error ... or am I missing something?

I’ve emailed the broker but don’t expect a response before Monday’s deadline.

I’m wondering whether the $21.43 discrepancy between my return and the 1099-B is enough to cause any problems ... and whether I should file an extension and try to get the broker to correct the 1099-B before I file?

Thanks for any thoughts.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (12) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Economic Implications of Cuba
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement